+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bakels Cake Mix? And cake advice?

Hi guys!

I'm going to attempt to make my DP's 40th birthday cake on the weekend.

I want the cake to be of a mag cover (which I designed). The original plan was to order an A3 sized edible image and have a cake maker make the cake and add the topper.

I have been quoted $180 for this (red velvet), plus $35 for the topper.

I am now considering doing it myself. I've been told $180 is cheap but money's tight, and DF would probably flip if he knew I spent that much on his cake (that could go towards food! lol).

I've come across the Bakel's red velvet cake mix and was wondering if anyone has tried it?

I'm not the most experienced baker so I'm looking for any shortcuts and easy options.

I'm also considering buying a cheap frozen generic pre-made sheet cake but I'm not sure how nice it'd taste.

Any other hints or tips on how to add the topper to the cake etc would be much appreciated.

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bakels is a great brand! My hubby is a pastry chef and they use it at work.
    Where are you based? Sometimes if we have to do a cake and don't have time to do the whole process we will buy a "naked cake" from a wholesale bakery and just ice it ourselves.
    What are you planning on icing the cake with and what's the topper made out of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cheffry!

I'm based in Sydney, The Hills District.

Wow really? I didn't know you could get naked cakes? Do I just ask at any bakery?

That would be great because I'm also having trouble finding the big cake tin that I need, or they're really expensive!

The cake topper is thin icing, NOT rice paper, which I've been told means I don't have to use fondant?

I wanted to do a layered red velvet cake with cream cheese in the middle and smooth plain white icing on the outside.

So how far in advance could I make the cake if I wanted to use cream cheese frosting?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And what about the premade buttercream? Any good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can make the cake and freeze it. I would decorate the day before the event. Most cake shops will let you hire their tins - there will be a ridiculous security deposit, but you get it back when you return the tin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And buttercream is so easy I wouldn't bother with premise - check out the Wilton recipe - google Wilton buttercream

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    You can make the cake and freeze it. I would decorate the day before the event. Most cake shops will let you hire their tins - there will be a ridiculous security deposit, but you get it back when you return the tin.
    So I could bake the cake tomorrow say, then defrost and decorate on Saturday ready for Sunday?

How would the cream cheese hold up? Would I refrigerate the cake?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We get our naked cakes from Mondo Kitchen, they are in Alexandria just email them for a quote. They are great!

http://www.mondonakedcakes.com.au/

I agree with the buttercream, so easy to make yourself. And you can freeze it. I love this recipe

http://www.marthastewart.com/353415/...ue-buttercream

Hope this helps!