+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default homework dor kindergarten???

So a letter was sent home from DD kindy last week about homework for next term. It said they will be sending 2-3 pages of homework home each day. Now im sorry but these kids are FOUR years old. Homework already. I have a real problem with this. My DD can barely stay awake after kindy...how the heck am I going to get her to do homework. Am I the only one who has issue with this?? These kids are so young, why do they need homework? And if its things as practising writing their names...why the heck cant they do that in the 6 hours they're at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2-3 pages a day????

I would say no way.

2-3 pages to do over the course of a week (depending upon content) I MIGHT be OK with...but, it makes me uncomfy for preppies (i am assuming you mean kindy as in 1st year of school). In prep our school did 5 sight words a week and reading each night and that was plenty!

If this is pre school...i would be telling them to jam it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be questioning what your DD is actually learning during the day if there is a need for that much to be done at home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally unnecessary for kindy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kindy here (in WA) is for kids 4 yrs turning 5 (followed by pre-school, then yr 1). I think it's ridiculous for kindy kids to have homework.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    My son is in year 4 and doesn't get that much homework. He gets 2-3 sheets a week (1 general, 1 spelling and an extension spelling) plus 3 home readers. I think that's plenty for his year level.

Expecting a kindy kid to do more than a few sight words and home readers a week is really unreasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah kindy as in first year of schooling. She does 5 days per fortnight. So its not every day she'll get homework but everyday shes at kindy (5/fortnight). Im glad im not the only one who feels this is crazy. Homework in primary school is bad enough but KINDY!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. I teach prep and I think homework is completely unnecessary at that age! They have words to learn but they are not given a set timeframe in which to learn them and they also take home a new reader every day. Nothing else. I think they need time to be children and relax when they get home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    DS 2 is in prep (qld) has had homework from day 1, a book to read every night, abc games and one other activity. He even had homework over the holidays

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My DS is in kindy (first year of school) and he gets what i think is an excessive amount of homework.

He gets 4 books to read and 5 other activities which can vary slightly each week. He has to write out a page of words, do something with numbers- counting to 20, backwards from 10, etc. Draw pictures, create craft projects and the likes. He has a sheet of his name he is meant to practice each week.