+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying to Europe at 31 weeks????

So we've been invited to a wedding in Europe and I will be 31 weeks pregnant.
    Will I be ok to fly or am I crazy to even consider it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think you are supposed to fly after 26 weeks? You will need a medical certificate if you do go though I'm pretty sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nope, I wouldn't, mainly because I don't think travel insurance covers premature birth and neonatal care expenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also, I don't know that many Insurance companies cover ivf pregnancies.

Eta-you can get a medical certificate but the airline doesn't have to honour it if they feel it's too risky. My friends brother was born in Holland because mum was refused a boarding pass on a stopover.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 14-04-2013 at 14:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Nope, I wouldn't, mainly because I don't think travel insurance covers premature birth and neonatal care expenses.
    Do u mean I would go into labour while there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It varies on the airline. Qantas used to cut off at 35 weeks for international travel. You need letter from your ob if you want to do it.

Re insurance check but most policies won't cover pregnancy from an early stage. There are some horror stories of Australians giving birth overseas unexpectedly and requiring special care. Hospital bills can run into several hundreds of thusands of dollars.

In short yes you might be able to do it but you need to weigh the risks.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I travelled at 34 weeks (domestically) my ob said he never had a problem with patients traveling as long as they were happy to give birth wherever they were going.

If that's not the case for you (for whatever reason... location, insurance, etc) then I wouldn't do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hoping4bubs View Post
    Do u mean I would go into labour while there?
    If you went into labour while you are overseas. Most travel insurance companies will not cover the cost of anything to do with pregnancy or baby past a certain stage eg usually about 26 weeks.

As for whether or not you can fly you would have to ask each airline what their requirements are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Re: insurance. If you are just going to the UK, their healthcare is completely universal, so even if you are not a resident (or living there legally), if you are inside the UK you are entitled to their health care. I am not sure of the rest of countries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Re: insurance. If you are just going to the UK, their healthcare is completely universal, so even if you are not a resident (or living there legally), if you are inside the UK you are entitled to their health care. I am not sure of the rest of countries.
    True but insurance would not cover any additional expenses relating to the pregnancy eg cost of ticket home on a different flight, additional accommodation for your DP when you are in hospital etc etc

If it was me no I wouldn't go, working for a claims provider I have seen so many claims declined as they were related to pregnancy. These are not small claims they can run into 100s of thousands of dollars.