Closed Thread
Page 62 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elswyth View Post
    Teehee, ready and willing to be the devil on your shoulder!

Well from my research, I feel like there are a few necessaries like car seat, stroller, nursing bras, cloth nappies (because disposables cost like $600 a year from what I've read) and bassinet or sleeping gear/cot. But — and other ladies can correct me here! — is there anything else? If you can breastfeed then that's covered, otherwise I guess there is formula costs. But you're likely to get plenty of clothes as gifts, and do they really need a billion outfits? So overall I presume about $1000 outlay there.

Are you going public or private?
    I can fill in a few blanks for you.. My costs so far (I'm going private as well) ... Dating scan $180 ($60 back from Medicare), 12 week scan $250 (haven't claimed from Medicare yet), whooping cough vaccine $46.95, hospital booking fee $40, ante natal classes $0 (because my hospital has an arrangement with hcf otherwise it would have been $380), first visits to Ob $190 ($65.70 from Medicare), antenatal management fee $2800 ($500 back), monthly visits to Ob up until 20 weeks is $45 per visit ($38.55 back), visits after 20 weeks are $70 per visit and ($69 back each time), 20 week scan $250 (not sure how much I get back from Medicare). So far its cost $3801.95 that doesn't include what we get back from Medicare. I've still got a few more visits with the doctor to go but as you can see I get 99% of it back. My hospital is free because I don't have an excess and then we will get a bill for an epidural if I have one and 1 baby doc appointment. So all up I reckon its going to end up being about $4000.

We went looking at baby gear yesterday and the car seat is $460, the pram (bugaboo) is $1300, the cot I like is $899, after that I was totally overwhelmed with nformation so I bought a baby blanket and left but we need to buy a baby bath, change table, chest of drawers, some baby wraps, nappies, wipes, baby towel, face washer, baby cot sheets, mattress protector, mattress, bassinet, sheets for that, some singlets ummm I can't remember the rest of the list right now but you get the jist.

Oh I've bought 3 maternity bras which we $50 each, and bought some more forgiving clothes which cost $470. That's it so far....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Disney For This Useful Post:

elswyth  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I better keep saving....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    I better keep saving....
    LOL I was thinking the same thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks for the breakdown Disney!

I am hoping to avoid the medical costs by going public at the Mercy in Heidelberg. Then we are hoping to get a pretty cheap pram ($300~) and car capsule ($300) and a second-hand cot for under $100. As far as I can see baby baths are about $10 (bargain!) and blankets and clothes.. well I guess I hope for presents! This would be the first grandchild on both sides so I am thinking it would get pretty spoilt.. not having a baby shower or anything though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My DP has no family, so I wouldn't get spoilt there. However if I got my BFP it would be the first grandchild and great grandchild (on my dads side, mum no longer has parents around). Actually my Nanna tries to put a lot of pressure on me to have kids as I'm her eldest grandchild.

I know my friends would spoil a bub too as I'd be the first of my friends to have a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Suggestion for the big ticketed items... If there's a baby show/expo in your area there are always sales on at those too! We got a car seat for over $100 less than RRP

RIP Angel Baby ~Skye~ 21/11/2012

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to munchkin859 For This Useful Post:

Disney  (28-05-2013),elswyth  (26-05-2013),Mamasupial  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did some more sums & it would actually work out okay for me to get the new job & get pregnant straight away. We'd be able to manage off savings & DH's salary & I would get a huge tax refund in 2014. I'd be able to take 6 months off, maybe 9 (depending on timing & if DH changes to a lower paid job in the mean time). So I'm just going to see what happens.
    Nomie - I wouldn't worry about saving. You've just moved into a new house right? So you shouldn't have much to do to it. You can always do things later & you'll also be building equity so could borrow against that in future to do any extra work. I'm also assuming you're not likely to sell for many years, so you'll have plenty of time to do any extra things you want.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funchu For This Useful Post:

elswyth  (26-05-2013),Pumpkaboo  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladies!
    Just from our experience having Grace, I learnt that you really don't need to spend too much (unless you like everything new!).
    We got given loads of wraps and clothes, bought a baby jogger pram through a company over the net for $100 cheaper than in store, bought a second hand cot from a friend and I just hit up 2nd hand baby and kids markets/garage sales for books and toys Up to you if ur ok with loads of second hand stuff of course!
    You will slowly accumulate from friends too, we borrowed a few things and passed them on. As soon as you tell everyone you're utd your friends who have had kids will start bombarding you with everything you can think of!! And there is always kmart!!

Disney, if you're looking for wraps get/ask for a Lil' Fraser wrap, they are THE BEST! They're an aussie company too I know you can definately get them at Baby Savings in Willoughby and any elc shop. They're stretchy cotton which is really good for wrapping bub up nice and tight. I found the muslin ones just came apart as soon as Gracie wriggled about.

We've decided to go public again this time around. We don't make stacks of money and I just can't justify spending that much, even though I would have like to see the ob I saw after G was born. It doesn't help that he's head of the department as is ex-pen-sive!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JessyJ For This Useful Post:

Disney  (28-05-2013),elswyth  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well AF is fully here now but so weird and different this month. After a week of cramps you'd think I'd be having the same excruciating cramps i normally get for the first 12-24 hrs that have been unbearable for the last 18 years. INstead I just have AF with a monster headache, a horrible dizzy feeling and sorry TMI passing weird white hard bits with AF ? what on earth that is I have no idea no clots but tiny little white bits like I have a clump of sand draining from my innner bits lol. My joints are taking up for my abdo discomfort as bad as my knees are they had been more pain free for a month cause i had given up taking my pain killers as they cause birth defects and I'd prefer the baby to no pain but now my knee is locking and the pain is unbearable again its not fair.

OUr baby will be the first on both sides so would be a very spoiled grandchild and niece/nephew. My sister has bad Lupus and although she is single had thought about being a single mum so she could have her own baby but is looking less likely as her drs thinking it is a smart idea so she is so exciting to be an aunty to our baby she has been talking to her friends already about it.

Not even looking at the prices but just looking at the mass of things at baby bunting is daunting and overwhelming Disney I was shocked when i went in first time just to buy a baby shower present. The shop we have in Newcastle is massive It'd be bigger the kmart or target store almost I think you walk in and there is just stuff everywhere and so many things I hadn't thought about needing or wanting but you see them and then consider yeah I do want that lol. The cot I like is just a little over $1000 but know I wont be allowed that for a cot lolcan get the same design by a furniture company in sydney though off Ebay will wait till actually PG cause no decisions on big things will be bought till then anyway,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear AF arrived wobbler See you in the June thread though. I am not sure about passing white clots.. maybe someone else on here has some advice regarding that, or perhaps check with your GP?

Disney I just thought you should know that after we BDed today I sang to the swimmers. I was sitting there, butt popped up on a pillow, thinking, "Oh, nah, don't be ridiculous." And then I just thought, "Hey, what the heck!" And made up a little baby melody. I tapped along on my stomach too. HAHA! Lucky DP was in the shower or he would have thought I was mad (actually he is equally mad and would probably have joined in).

Thanks for your great advice JessyJ, I was thinking of going second hand with everything that you can that is safe (i.e. not carseats). Good to have confirmation that you can do it! I checked for cots on eBay earlier and there are some beautiful old wooden ones that were like $35. Amazing.

Funchu I'm really really excited to hear that you can afford to take the risk with your new job! That's exciting. So you can keep TTC and see what happens! Yay!!

beccaboobang none of my friends have babies either so that's also another source. If you're being bugged to supply the grandkids that's a good sign they'll get spoilt!

Thanks for the advice munchkin.. I didn't know about that. If I manage to get UTD sometime this millennium I will keep an eye out, I'm sure there are expos that come to Melb.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elswyth For This Useful Post:

Disney  (28-05-2013),Funchu  (26-05-2013)