Closed Thread
Page 61 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know what you mean about "stupid money" Nomie. I'm having a bit of doubt about the money thing at the moment too. I just got a promotion, but it's not quite as much extra money as I thought it would be because of the timing (I started on the base pay level instead of level 2 & now will only go to level 2 in July instead of level 3). DH also wants to change careers, which will result in a quite large drop in pay (but this might not happen until late this year or early next year). I may have the opportunity to change jobs in July to one that pays quite a bit more money (this has just come out of the blue), but I wouldn't qualify for paid maternity leave until I'd been there 12 months, which means I should try not to get pregnant for another 5-6 months... but I don't want to stop ttc!!! It's already been 7 months with no luck, so it could take another 5-6 months anyway. I'm worried that (Murphy's Law) if I keep ttc, I'll get the BFP & the job & not get paid maternity leave (although I'd be thrilled with a BFP); & if I stop ttc, I won't get the job & then will have wasted a couple of months. I don't know what to do! If I think about it, it's really only 1 cycle to skip (this one), which I was thinking about doing anyway because of the stress. I should know about the other job by the next cycle & if I don't get the job I can get straight back into it. If I do get the job, we'd have to hold off on ttc until after October.
    lol - sorry for thinking "out loud"!
    I still don't know what to do. I'm leaning towards "not trying/ not preventing" in the hopes that Murphy's Law gives me the BFP & the better job & just making do with the Govt paid parental leave (unless Tony Abbott gets elected & brings in his higher ppl scheme before I go on mat leave...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funchu View Post
    I know what you mean about "stupid money" Nomie. I'm having a bit of doubt about the money thing at the moment too. I just got a promotion, but it's not quite as much extra money as I thought it would be because of the timing (I started on the base pay level instead of level 2 & now will only go to level 2 in July instead of level 3). DH also wants to change careers, which will result in a quite large drop in pay (but this might not happen until late this year or early next year). I may have the opportunity to change jobs in July to one that pays quite a bit more money (this has just come out of the blue), but I wouldn't qualify for paid maternity leave until I'd been there 12 months, which means I should try not to get pregnant for another 5-6 months... but I don't want to stop ttc!!! It's already been 7 months with no luck, so it could take another 5-6 months anyway. I'm worried that (Murphy's Law) if I keep ttc, I'll get the BFP & the job & not get paid maternity leave (although I'd be thrilled with a BFP); & if I stop ttc, I won't get the job & then will have wasted a couple of months. I don't know what to do! If I think about it, it's really only 1 cycle to skip (this one), which I was thinking about doing anyway because of the stress. I should know about the other job by the next cycle & if I don't get the job I can get straight back into it. If I do get the job, we'd have to hold off on ttc until after October.
    lol - sorry for thinking "out loud"!
    I still don't know what to do. I'm leaning towards "not trying/ not preventing" in the hopes that Murphy's Law gives me the BFP & the better job & just making do with the Govt paid parental leave (unless Tony Abbott gets elected & brings in his higher ppl scheme before I go on mat leave...)
    Congrats Funchu on your promotion! (Well, opportunity)
    You go girl!
    All I can say is, go with your gut.
    To me; a job is just a job but, it really depends on how much you love it etc.

I hope that either way, you'll be happy.
    Do what you 'feel' is right? Don't think too much about it....you know what I mean?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jenjenOo For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh missv that is soooo annoying. Hugs. Hope it comes around quick as a flash and that you can distract yourself well in the meantime.

Funchu & Nomie I feel your money worries. Nomie when do you feel like you'll be financially secure enough? I know this makes me a bad influence, but I have read a few times about how babies don't actually cost very much. Some of the ladies on here might be able to contradict me, but it seems to make sense — so long as you don't want to go mental with supplies and toys and spend $10,000 on a nursery (which I don't, but I understand some people do want to do that).

Not to take away from the fact that it's smart to be PERSONALLY comfortable with your finances so you won't have any stress to pass on to the baby/DH and so you can relax and enjoy being a mum!

Congrats on the promotion Funchu, pity it's not as much cash but the new opportunity sounds promising? I think I am like you in that I would take that approach of not trying but also not preventing and leaving it to chance! How much would you miss out on for maternity leave pay anyway? At my job it's 6 weeks full pay which I am willing to forgo.

I hate my job so I am resigning at the end of the month to start my own business so that I can have more flexible work right up to, and after, bub. I'm a bit scared because it seems mental to plan on kicking a business off when I may have mega fatigue and morning sickness, but my job is so stressful that it's just not worth it! DP just quit his job too to go freelance for the same reasons.

So if it makes you feel any better, I am literally jumping into the abyss

5. The Following User Says Thank You to elswyth For This Useful Post:

Pumpkaboo  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elswyth, I'm not sure. I'm just worried that once I have a bub that I won't be able to save. At the moment we can pay bills easy enough, and the extra money goes into savings. In my mind I think that once a bub comes along that extra money will all go to the baby and I'll have nothing left to save to do things I want around the house. So torn. I like your bad influences. Mwuhua. You can be the devil on my shoulder. I'm very happy to be proven wrong so I can start TTC with no worries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would be 18 weeks at full pay in the new job (after 12 months). In my current job (that I just got promoted too), it's 14 weeks at full pay, or 28 weeks at half pay. I have about 6 weeks of annual leave saved up from my current job, so if I left for a new job I'd get that paid out, which would cover about 1 month in the new job (I haven't done the maths). Then, if I saved all of the money that is the difference in pay between my current job & the new job for the time I was pregnant, it would cover about another 2-3 months (I'm not sure exactly what my new salary would be). So, theoretically I could forgo the 18 weeks paid leave & fund around 10-12 weeks of it from savings + ppl. I would like to be able to take at least 6 months off for mat leave though & with my current job I might be able to stretch that out to a year on half pay using all of my annual leave as well. But, if I get the timing right, the new job provides 4 weeks more mat leave at a higher rate of pay (I'm not sure about half pay options, but I could take extra leave with no pay) & there is the option to work from home... I think I'm just going to go with the flow - what will be will be!

Good luck with your business elswyth. Do you mind me asking what it is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    WHOA Funchu, 18 weeks at full pay is pretty amazing (so is 14 weeks). I knew my work was mean for only offering 6 weeks but I didn't know quite how mean!

As amazing as 18 weeks at full pay is, waiting 4 or 5 months to get pregnant does seem like a long time. I also don't reckon it will take you that long now since you've already been trying for a while. If I were you, I'd keep TTC and take the new job because the promise of more money is better, and if it's a move up then that is good, especially if you'd enjoy it more.

Then I'd take my chances.. if I got UTD straight away, you know that you could fund yourself for at least 4 months and then you would get the $606 per week for 18 weeks from the gov't right? Would that not take you through to 6 months off? (I realise a year would be preferable.. )

And then if you don't fall for another 4 or 5 months, you'll get the full pay 18 weeks bonanza!

But that could be terrible advice.. I am very impatient about TTC

Will you have one more round of POAS before you know if you'll be offered the job? Maybe it will be decided before then...

I am a graphic designer & web developer so I'm starting a business in email marketing. I believe I've found a few niches that need filling and I am hoping for the best! If it works, I will only need to work 6 hours a day or so. That is my ultimate goal; at the moment I work overtime all the time simply because everyone else is disorganised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OH yeah and working from home sounds like a great perk!! That is what I want and my work doesn't offer it either. The new job sounds like the best option.. but with the risk of not making it to 12 months in time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomie View Post
    Elswyth, I'm not sure. I'm just worried that once I have a bub that I won't be able to save. At the moment we can pay bills easy enough, and the extra money goes into savings. In my mind I think that once a bub comes along that extra money will all go to the baby and I'll have nothing left to save to do things I want around the house. So torn. I like your bad influences. Mwuhua. You can be the devil on my shoulder. I'm very happy to be proven wrong so I can start TTC with no worries.
    Teehee, ready and willing to be the devil on your shoulder!

Well from my research, I feel like there are a few necessaries like car seat, stroller, nursing bras, cloth nappies (because disposables cost like $600 a year from what I've read) and bassinet or sleeping gear/cot. But — and other ladies can correct me here! — is there anything else? If you can breastfeed then that's covered, otherwise I guess there is formula costs. But you're likely to get plenty of clothes as gifts, and do they really need a billion outfits? So overall I presume about $1000 outlay there.

Are you going public or private?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elswyth, I'm a graphic designer too. I'm more into the print side of things. I can't code/design websites to save my life. I was hoping to go private if possible. Hmmm. Not sure at the moment.
    I'm hoping I can work from home a 2/3 days a week after the gov't pay is up. DH has his own business so he can have bub one day a week while I go to work. This is my plan. Hope the boss agrees with me when the time comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh cool! Graphic design buddies!

Ah ok well I guess going private, I can understand your apprehension because there are a lot more out-of-pocket costs there. I am lucky that the Mercy in Melbourne is public and has a birthing centre; that's where I'd want to birth and it is totally public.

Design can be a really flexible job IMO, as long as you have a computer with InDesign/Illustrator etc on it, there should be no reason why you can't work from home. I hope your boss gets on board