Closed Thread
Page 78 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had a meltdown today!! Was stressing hard as Orlando's had really watery poo the last coupe of days (which I thought was to do with the teething)...he was really fussy all day and we took him to the GP on Saturday and she said he was all good and just teething was causing him upset. So I decided to MCHN hotline...she was really abrupt but pretty much told me that I'm over feeding him, which is why he's having those poos and also that he is "grossly overtired" which is why he is "distressed" and has a stomach ache (in her own words). I had to bite my tongue not to cry on the phone!! Had a cry when I came off the phone. Orlando is always bloody eating but he eats and he's always hungry...which made me think about my supply! So I've made the decision to stop breast feeding from the breast (for now) and express for every feed so I know exactly how much he is having to try and get some sort of routine and not over feed the poor baby!! Feeling guilty because I thought I was just doing what he wanted and feeding on demand turns out not the case...or so she says anyway! So I've got to lay down the law now! She said that even if it takes me 30 minutes to settle him to only sleep for another 30 minutes I should just do it and it will get easier...she said to aim for 2 x 2 hour sleeps and one nap (one sleep cycle) per day. So I held off feeding him until 6.45 (which was pretty much 3 hours). I fed him a 120ml expressed bottle and he had the whole lot (not all at once he stopped for a few breaths and a couple of burps). I then read him a story and a cuddle and then wrapped him and sang a lullaby and put him down to sleep at about 7.15. Since then (it's now 9.40) e has awoken and needed resettling about 6 times). He's asleep again now so we'll see how long he lasts! I expressed again just before and so I have the next 120ml bottle ready! It means I will have to express overnight but just have to do it this way for now!
    Sorry for the vent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't feel guilty SL! That lady shouldn't have made you feel like you've done something wrong. Thats so bad on her part, especially coming from a help line! Your demand feeding which is a feat in itself and how are we meant to know you can over feed by demand feeding? The lactation ladies at my hospital said that babies know when their full.

So your now feeding every 3 hours? Or longer?

Your a wonderful mum SL, don't you think any different, that lady is just an old bat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nala9000 For This Useful Post:

SL1009  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh SL you poor love, the lady sounded a little abrupt with her advice, sometimes they mean well but don't go about it in the best way. I cried on the parent helpline cause they were harsh with me as well when I was trying to get Ivy to self settle.

I think some babies will just eat and eat but do make themselves sick...maybe this is Orlando. I think trying to get him on a routine is a good idea. When Ivy gets into a snacking/ feeding to often she wakes more and gets more tired and is never properly full.

Your just trying to do your best by giving him what he wants but sometimes they don't know what is best....if you know what I mean...

Ivy would stay up all day if I let her, I gave to fight all the time to get her to sleep, but she needs it!

As for getting 2 x2 hour naps that would be great in a perfect world and I hope you can achieve it but it's not always easy so don't be hard on yourself!

I think for now try and work on a lose routine and see how you go, but remember your his mum and he is individual and you do what you think is best for him. The nurse on the other end means well but not all babies fit into the routine that they are supposed to!!

Don't be hard on yourself SL, your a wonder mum and orlando is lucky to have you as him mummy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

SL1009  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nala9000 View Post
    Don't feel guilty SL! That lady shouldn't have made you feel like you've done something wrong. Thats so bad on her part, especially coming from a help line! Your demand feeding which is a feat in itself and how are we meant to know you can over feed by demand feeding? The lactation ladies at my hospital said that babies know when their full.

So your now feeding every 3 hours? Or longer?

Your a wonderful mum SL, don't you think any different, that lady is just an old bat
    Thanks Nala...I'm gonna go at least 3 hourly...he just had second 120ml bottle at 12.15 so that was 5.5 hrs from last bottle...expressing now so will see when next one will be...he did have a longer sleep though which is good...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    Oh SL you poor love, the lady sounded a little abrupt with her advice, sometimes they mean well but don't go about it in the best way. I cried on the parent helpline cause they were harsh with me as well when I was trying to get Ivy to self settle.

I think some babies will just eat and eat but do make themselves sick...maybe this is Orlando. I think trying to get him on a routine is a good idea. When Ivy gets into a snacking/ feeding to often she wakes more and gets more tired and is never properly full.

Your just trying to do your best by giving him what he wants but sometimes they don't know what is best....if you know what I mean...

Ivy would stay up all day if I let her, I gave to fight all the time to get her to sleep, but she needs it!

As for getting 2 x2 hour naps that would be great in a perfect world and I hope you can achieve it but it's not always easy so don't be hard on yourself!

I think for now try and work on a lose routine and see how you go, but remember your his mum and he is individual and you do what you think is best for him. The nurse on the other end means well but not all babies fit into the routine that they are supposed to!!

Don't be hard on yourself SL, your a wonder mum and orlando is lucky to have you as him mummy
    Thanks Nicsta it's hard not to be hard on yourself isn't it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is very hard not to be hard on yourself but your really a great mum, dot forget it xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

SL1009  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just don't be too hard on yourself SL this mothering is a tough gig

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you go SL? I would have been so upset as well and think you handled yourself amazingly. When your up for it maybe give them another call. Do you get to speak to different people? Cause maybe you will get someone else to help you that is a bit more understanding. Can runny poos just mean they are clearing a bug? William is demand fed and I don't think ever goes 3 hours during the day. I have come to the realisation that he is a catnapper ( which all the books say some babies are) and that as long as he is happy and putting on weight ( and I'm happy) all will be fine. Ds1 was the same and he eventually got into a routine ( by 7-8 months he was having 1 good 2 hour sleep in the afternoon). You are an amazing mum and this crazy phase will pass shortly. I had mention our 4mth regression experience. Well he is now only waking 1-2 a night which shows that these times are only short lived. Good luck with whatever you chose to do and I hope next time you get some understanding helpful advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks dragon...he had a 120ml bottle at 6.45,12.15,4.15 and 7.15...he's still awake now and having some play time trying to keep him up for a bit before attempting to put him down for 2 hours! Wish me luck haha!! So wasn't too bad last night only I have no milk in storage because he's been eating so much so I had to express a couple of times but I need to anyway to keep my supply up I guess!

I think the watery poos is definitely due to either eating too much or teething...we took him to our GP on Saturday who said he didn't have a bug or infection! I shall wait for the next poo and see what it shall be lol!

On another note he's found a new pitch in his voice - squeaky squeaky high pitched in the last couple of days and is using it a lot!! Haha so funny!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go to mothers group and 8 out of the 10 mums have cat nappers. For some all naps are cat naps and others get one good nap and rest cat naps so I feel assured its pretty normal for this age!

I'm stuffed, ivy was a dream and slept 730 to 430, she fed but then spewed and was really awake so it took me till 530 to get her back to sleep, but that wasn't the problem, it's my boobs! I was awake from 330 till 6....at 330 boobs were killing and then I waited to express as soon as I got the machine out she woke