+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    12 mins first, 2 mins second. But, I was coached with pushing first time around, was going against my body, but still quick. I think the coaching caused my tearing. And the b1tch midwife made me lie on my back.

Second time, I did not push at all, I just let my body do its thing. Relaxed and let it happen. Much much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    20mins with 1st, 2 mins with 2nd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the comments preggasurus. It reminds me of an article in the Calmbirth booklet called 'Don't Push The River, It Flows By Itself'.

"It is a little known fact that aside from a slight push or two in last seconds of labour, forced pushing is not necessary or even desirable for the woman... up until the 1920s women were not instructed to push during second stage of labour. Around that time doctors "determined" that that the second stage was dangerous to the unborn baby. Pushing, they hoped, would get the baby out faster.... By the 1980s scientific evidence showed that the second stage of labour actually helps to stimulate their digestive, respiratory and many other systems of the body... When a woman is pushing and holding her breath for a sustained period this in turn will result in a decreased oxygen supply to both the uterus and the foetus making contractions more difficult and painful as well as leading to a drop in the baby's heart rate and so foetal distress... The insistence that pushing is necessary in labour is simply a reflection of our cultural attitude that force and haste are superior to trust and patience."

In 10-12 weeks I can give my personal view... feel free to discuss

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to four legged mummy For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (14-04-2013),tales  (14-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2 hours for first. 3 minutes for second

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy RJ View Post
    Did u do anything different the second time ? Were your labours similar?
    I was induced and had an epidural first bub which was 7 hours all up including the 2 hours of pushing.

Second was spontaneous natural labor, no drugs (not planned like that just happened) which was 1.5 hours all up.

I think the shortness of my second labor has a lot to do with my body just being ready, not being induced, and pushing when my body told me to push rather than the midwife saying 'it's time to push now'. Not that I did too much pushing, like a pp said, my body did most of the work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by four legged mummy View Post
    Thanks for the comments preggasurus. It reminds me of an article in the Calmbirth booklet called 'Don't Push The River, It Flows By Itself'.

"It is a little known fact that aside from a slight push or two in last seconds of labour, forced pushing is not necessary or even desirable for the woman... up until the 1920s women were not instructed to push during second stage of labour. Around that time doctors "determined" that that the second stage was dangerous to the unborn baby. Pushing, they hoped, would get the baby out faster.... By the 1980s scientific evidence showed that the second stage of labour actually helps to stimulate their digestive, respiratory and many other systems of the body... When a woman is pushing and holding her breath for a sustained period this in turn will result in a decreased oxygen supply to both the uterus and the foetus making contractions more difficult and painful as well as leading to a drop in the baby's heart rate and so foetal distress... The insistence that pushing is necessary in labour is simply a reflection of our cultural attitude that force and haste are superior to trust and patience."

In 10-12 weeks I can give my personal view... feel free to discuss
    Thanks for sharing. That makes so much sense!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (14-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    3.5hrs with DS1 (3rd degreee episiotomy and 4th degree tears)
    19min with DS2 (2nd degree tears as he was compound presentation)

With DS2 i didnt actally 'push' i just breathed evenly through the contractions and relaxed my body and my body did all the 'work'. No effort required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You ladies all give me hope for number 2. Thank you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    1 hour of pushing with #1 (14 hour induced labour)

15 minutes with #2, however that was only 3 small pushes, no crazy huge pushes as he was posterior brow presentation so I had to hold back a bit. (Labour was over 32 hours spontaneous)

Thanks
    Reviews
    45mins of pushing with #1, two pushes for #2 & #3