+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi. Technically my bub is not IUGR. However she is in the 3rd percentile. She's currently 4 and half months, still in newborn nappies and is borderline wearing 000. She still wears her 0000!!!
    She was 2.9kgs at birth but has a condition which affects her growth. I saw you mentioned feeding problems of which I'm well versed at!! I had to stop breastfeeding her as she was burning too many calories. I exclusively pumped for 3 ish months. I had LOTS of trouble with feeding and bottles and falling asleep. The only bottle that I've had success with are the slimline bottles with pigeon peristaltic teats. The speech therapist tells me this type are closest to breastfeeding. Avent bottles and closer to nature have short teats which are harder work for bubs.
    I thought it would never get easier... Some days it was like she would feed for a minute then sleep for 30 minutes then cry because she was hungry. I called it grazing all day and night. I did initially do bf then top ups too. She didn't gain enough weight and we had a stint with ng tube. She's had heart surgery too. After that the feeding was hard...
    After some hard days and many tears I'm managing to get her to feed more routinely and effectively. At 4 months now its s huge improvement. She even gains usually over 200g per week and feeds every 3 hours. I do make formula extra strength with advice from the hospital dietician.
    So even though not the same exact issues from my experience so far it has gotten easier. But I had some shocker days and still do, but the bad days are less now.
    (With regard to nappies... Snugglers I think they're called do a premmie size. We used them for a week or so).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just looked at nappy packet.. They are huggies snugglers preemie. I bought them in a baby bunting shop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little fella was born at 33.6wks due to IUGR and a few other issues. He was 1.6kgs and spent 6wks in NICU/SCN. He has taken along time to gain weight. Weight height just on 3rd percentile at 18mths. He was classed as failure to thrive even though he eats rather well. Development is behind but with the right intervention has started to progress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just thought I'd drop in and share. Both of my kids were IUGR babies DS was our first born at 37 weeks DD was born t 36 weeks - both were 2.4kgs. We had a few minor issues with sugar levels and body temp t birth oh and jaundice but both were discharged on day 7. DS had dairy protein intolerance and was put on neocate, DD I managed to successfully breast feed. In terms of health/developmental issues we have had a few.

DS was diagnosed with sensory and auditory processing disorder at age 6 and a "global" developmental delay of 2 years. He also suffers from anxiety. Poor little guy was born worried, he has been highly strung since birth but I proving as time goes on. Most of his problems have been linked to IUGR.

DD also has had a few issues. She has an oral food aversion, once again linked to IUGR and also more common in girls than boys. So far she is learning and developing well at school and has shown no signs of sensory or auditory problems like her brother (trust me her food issues are more than enough to deal with). I guess we just take year by year as it comes, they are both healthy and thriving and have both suffered a few small setbacks along the way but we would not change any of it for the world.

DreamsIntoReality is offline Each day gives hope to fulfilling our dreams!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told I was having a IUGR baby and they induced me on my due date. Which she was born the day after. She was 2.7kg (6lb) and she was fine, in the hospital she lost 10% of her body weight but gained it back over the next few weeks. She wouldn't latch properly but I continued to express and I used the Calma teat with her and she took to it really well. I kept getting told she was too small, and failing to thrive (according to their statistics) but was still gaining weight, looking healthy, etc.
    At 6 months of age we learnt that she has a Rare Congenital Heart Disease (should have been picked up when she was in utero) which caused her to be small and when we finally got a diagnosis, she was no longer classed as "failing to thrive" or a "too small a baby" and said she is growing along nicely.
    I hope that everything works out for you. It will get easier, work out what is best for you both in the situation :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dreamsintoreality...bit of a hijack here but CHD does your little one have?

DreamsIntoReality is offline Each day gives hope to fulfilling our dreams!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    TamTam, she has condition called Scimitar Syndrome which has caused her to have a Hypoplastic Right Lung (Not developed properly) and her heart sits on the righthand side. I have learnt of other children with this condition have been small throughout their childhood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamsIntoReality View Post
    TamTam, she has condition called Scimitar Syndrome which has caused her to have a Hypoplastic Right Lung (Not developed properly) and her heart sits on the righthand side. I have learnt of other children with this condition have been small throughout their childhood.
    Gosh. I hope she is doing well. My dd had hypoplastic right heart syndrome. .. she's very small too!! 6 months and still in 000