+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Perth OB & hospital recommendations

Hi all, TTC no 3 but we will be moving to Perth towards the end of the year, living near Karrinyup.

I have no clue what hospitals & Drs are good.

Looking for someone who isn't into intervention unless it's an emergency.

I'd prefer a dr rather than middie as I'm 37.. No offense to midwives (I had one for ds1- just want some more monitoring because of my age).

Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any personal experience but I would read up on the hospitals around there and then on their websites they have lists of Obs that you can research.

Glengarry is a 10min drive from Karrinyup, is a small private hospital (but from what I've read has highest intervention rate in the state - but this is obviously due to a number of factors). They have only a few Obs listed.

Joondalup Hospital is probably a 20mim drive and has a public and private section, and I have heard mixed reviews. Once again, best to look on website and see what Obs go there.

Hope that helps as a starting point.
    Last edited by Azimuth; 11-04-2013 at 20:22. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to Osbourne park hospital just off karrinyup rd. had a few problems with prenatal care and ended up getting very sick with pre eclampsia and nothing was done to help me. This time round I will be going to king Edward which is the top women's and infant hospital in perth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    King Edward only takes high risk pregnancies unless you go to the family birth centre or are in their catchment area. Is mercy hospital around there? I have heard good things about it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

What about that St John of God hospital? I found their website and had a look, but I'd have no idea otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mercy in Mount Lawley will take a while to get to if its in peak hour ( prob 45min to an hour) from Karrinyup.

If you are wanting public hospitals then you usually have to be in the catchment area - Osborne Park would be your one. KEMH has a very small catchment (Subiaco pretty much) unless you are high risk and have been referred there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sjog Subi also has pros and cons. Parking can be a pain and expensive, although is a bigger hospital than Glengarry/Mercy Mt Lawley. Partners can stay the night in some rooms, but as you have kids might not be important. It's a bigger hospital so more choice in Ob's. I've heard Dr Love is good but not sure if he is low intervention or not.

Will take 20-30 mins drive in peak hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im with Louise Farrell at St Johns Subi. The hospital is lovely and had a level 2 special care nursery if bub needs extra help (any higher needs than that and all babies have to go to King Edward)
    Food and rooms at St Johns are lovely

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm with Tim Jeffrey who only consults at SJOG. He's lovely. No idea about how interventionist he is as I have t have caesarians.

I wasn't a huge fan of SJOG but I'm not into hospitals much at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    jellyfishie- Can I ask what the rooms are like at SJOGS? im having a c-section there at the start of June and am hoping the hospital room are nice.