+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Age to feed themselves

DS1 is now 19mths and I'm concerned he won't eat properly from a bowl/plate. I keep reading that at 18mths they should do this confidently??

He has been hand feeding himself since 7-8mths with no issue. He eats a great variety of foods, although has recently been fussy with veggies so I've had to hide them in meals!

But every time I give him a bowl/plate, he simply tips it all out and uses it as a hat. I've tried the ones with a suction bottom and they are useless.

So at this age, should he be better by now? Any one got any tips? Or is it just patience?! Kind of sick of cleaning a huge mess every night, including his hair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think that is still to young - as long as he is eating I wouldn't worry about it yet!

Just keep putting down the cutlery and bowls and he will eventually get there , my 2.5 yr old is pretty good with his cutlery but still makes a mess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say no rush, they are still only little and I think it's just time. I often prefer to feed my 16mo sloppy food to avoid mess, but give her a spoon to hold and dip in now and then.
    Ps. I would LOVE it if my dd ate veges!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think he should be doing it (with lost of mess and still some fingers) but you need to leave the fork and bowl on the table so he gets use to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is 18 months, and I let him feed himself with a fork and bowl, he does ok. He kind of uses the fork and his hands, and he creates a massive mess! Sounds pretty standard to me.

I lol'ed about the bowl as hat bit, ds does the same thing! All the time, it's really gross! I'm constantly cleaning huge quantities of food out of his hair. He also likes to throw food, I have worn many sloppy pre-chewed food items in recent months!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ha! Yes I now make sure his lunches are relatively mess free (not pasta sauce for example!). I try to contain the spaghetti hair for just before bath

I always give him cutlery, which he does try to use. He's not too bad when he is being sensible - problem is that he just prefers his hands and also tipping the bowl everywhere. It's a nightmare.

As long as his development is nothing to worry about yet, I'll keep going with the mess! Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    😂 Sorry, I couldn't help but giggle about the hat bit!

My DS is 17 months and will hand feed off a plate or out of a bowl but is still hit and miss with a spoon. Manages to get some in his mouth but mostly everywhere else. Has not clue how to use a fork.

Regardless of all this he still loves using food as hair product!

I had no idea that they were supposed to have mastered this by 18 months!

I wouldn't worry, I figure they all get there when they're ready. As others have said the most important thing is that he's eating well! 👍

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hey Pesca DS is 19 months and his bowl is a frisbee or hat and his cutlery is something he can poke at me with. He has no problem feeding himself with hands and eats a lot! Ive been concerned as well so thank you for posting this!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 2 and has only in the last few weeks starting to use a fork or spoon instead of hands most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just keep putting it in front of him, he'll get used to it. Do you eat together? They love to copy, so it's a good way to tget them to understand and try it out themselves!! x