+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just thought i might mention, i started getting the flu vax to protect my elderly father, or friends bubs from catching anything if i got it... So if i were in your position (im only 14 wks atm) id still get it incase the newborn might catch something if you do get it even after the birth

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephii For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (12-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Speak to your OB.

My OB was very insistent that I get it and also the Whooping Cough vaccine. I am still deciding on the Whooping Cough for myself and my family at this point too.
    With the Whooping Cough Vaxx London it comes with my highest recommendation, I actually did a mini project on the decrease in vaccination numbers focusing on the flu vaccine for uni last year, I know it seems silly but whooping cough comes about in bursts every 4 to 5 years when the immunity from the vaccine starts to wain and it can be so deadly for little babies with their tiny lungs if they catch it
    I had the whooping cough vax with DS and will be making sure this time around that people are up to date with their vax for it before getting cuddles with this bubs

(and yet I'm still not getting the flu vax talk about a walking contradiction, the joys of being pregnant ;-) )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    My gp (and sil's pead) highly reccomend getting it if your having contact with young babies. So based on that in your position I would get it.

My gp also said, when they last had a really bad flu season alot of the people really sick were from the 'younger' generation (he included me and himself in that group, he would be late 30's early 40's). He said it was because the older people had been exposed to more flu germs over the years so they had more natural immunity. He was comparing perfectly healthy people, not anyone in an at risk catagory.

Dh and I are going to have it done in the next 2 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm so unsure last time I was preg It was during the swine flu season. I was luckily enough to not get it but following 2 winters I did get it and man they were BAD.

I've never got the vax done before so I'm scared about the reaction.

Your damned if you do and damned if you don't. Both sides have risks.. I just really don't know.

I'm like you London and have major anxiety so this decision is totally doing my head in.. I'm scared

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I'm am actually in the waiting room to see my OB now and the receptionist asked if I wanted to flu vax and I said no. I actually have no information about it and I'm allergic to the whooping cough vaxx so worried about getting the flu vaxx. Now I'm wondering if I should just get it?
    I am allergic to Whooping cough vaxx too and my Allergist has warned me to never get the flu vax!!!

LONDON - if you caught the flu last year (and were previously nuvaxxed against flu) you should be ok for this year. I caught H1N1 last year and my gp said that should have boosted my personal flu-immunity for the next 2 years, but i would be at risk again after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't wait for a situation to force you to get it. I had the flu shot while pregnant. Best thing I did. Last season was quite bad and yet I was the only person out of my group that did not get the flu. I watched everyone suffer and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

A similar thing has happened here where I live regarding vaccinations. In the past week, it has come to light that several children have been hit with the measles. Now so many people have rushed to get the MMR that stocks have run out. Suddenly there are no anti-vaxxers to be found! lol

Best of luck with the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    reading this with interest as I started the other flu jab whilst pregnant thread. I just wanted to say I have enjoyed (for want of a better word) reading both threads as people have given their opinion, their experiences, but no side has said you are wrong if you don't mine is the only way. This is a forum at its best as there are so many of us wondering about the flu jab and it's nice to be able to digest info from others without feeling judged. How refreshing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to upforroundtwo For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (12-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Getting the flu jab when pregnant is recommended by all government medical authorities. Sorry but I think those pregnant women who don't vaccinate (without a specific medical condition/recommendation) are being a tad irresponsible. Even at your late stage of pregnancy I would do it: vaccinating will protect bubba for 6 months. It will also help prevent you from getting sick and passing it to bub. You don't want a sick newborn.

I know you said you don't like needles/medical procedures but I think when bubbas health is at risk it's time to put the big girl panties on.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 30w today and just got it this week. At first I wasn't sure but my GP assured me it was safe and yes because it can protect bubs too (important to me as my bub will be a winter bub) I didn't see a reason not to.

Having said this, I've only had the actual flu probably a few times in my life. Pre-pregnancy I was very fit and healthy but I'm in high traffic areas everyday (peak hour trains and city worker). I'd rather not risk it