+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm due in 4 weeks, so I'm interested in people's responses! I have never had the flu jab before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm am actually in the waiting room to see my OB now and the receptionist asked if I wanted to flu vax and I said no. I actually have no information about it and I'm allergic to the whooping cough vaxx so worried about getting the flu vaxx. Now I'm wondering if I should just get it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd never even thought of this before but I'm due late June/early July so kind of bang in the middle of flu season I guess :/

I've never had the vax, had the flu once if I remember correctly. I work from home in a rural town and don't have a very active social life right now, I feel like my exposure risk would be fairly low (as opposed to say someone who worked in the city, used public transport, went out heaps etc) but it only takes that one exposure to the icky germs I guess. I really prefer to minimise vaxes where possible though, I'm not the kind to rush out and get jabbed with every new one.
    But having just been through an awful cold that was disruptive enough, makes me wonder... Gah, so hard!!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I'm am actually in the waiting room to see my OB now and the receptionist asked if I wanted to flu vax and I said no. I actually have no information about it and I'm allergic to the whooping cough vaxx so worried about getting the flu vaxx. Now I'm wondering if I should just get it?
    Speak to your OB.

My OB was very insistent that I get it and also the Whooping Cough vaccine. I am still deciding on the Whooping Cough for myself and my family at this point too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me DH and DD all had whooping cough last year so our whole family had to go get the vax when we had it so no need to worry about that but the flu vax has never seemed an necessity to me!

I'll talk to the OB and see why I should get it and what are the risks/benefits.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will say I am glad to see more people who are as unsure as me.....alot of the time on the forum it seems its either definitely yes or definitely no. Its comforting to know Im not alone in this tricky decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    London- as you know I decided to get it after much deliberation.

I've only had the flu once and never had a flu vaccine so wasn't getting it for my own benefit. I'm only getting it for the immunity it provides baby given she is born in flu season.

You can't vaccinate a baby under 6 months against influenza anyway so for me this was a good opportunity to provide protection. Though I'm not sure i'll be giving my child the vaccine once she's outside of my uterus.

I looked at the situation and thought my biggest concern is her getting a flu in her first 6 months of life as influenza can kill. So with that in mind and after researching and talking to infection control at my work I decided to go for it.

I had it yesterday and have had no reaction at all other than a slightly achey arm.

DH is getting the whooping cough vaccine tonight after work but NOT the flu vax as she'll be protected from my immunization and he doesn't usually vaccinate.

I can understand the anxiety - I'm an anxious person too and kept thinking "what if i have a bad reaction" but from what i've read it's been really well tolerated.

it's a hard call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely will be getting the flu vax. In saying that, I get it every year and am a nurse so around sick people every day. I've seen people extremely ill from influenza and just would not risk it, especially being pregnant (im currently 21 weeks). As I said though, I'm around sick people every day and the vax is provided by my work so that makes my decision pretty easy. It's a personal choice, but I feel more comfortable knowing I have been vaxxed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know how nurses, doctors, midwives etc. can go to work everyday and have allllllll kinds of illnesses and germies flying around the place. Omg, thats my fear Lol
    I mean, I work (workED....maternity leave, woo!) with kids which are massive germ bags but I couldnt imagine being a doctor sitting there all day having people coming in and coughing, sneezing, spluttering, oozing, weeping...eeek! Much braver people than me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 19 weeks and on the fence too, like mathermy I live a pretty unsocial life at the moment and if anyone I know gets sick they generally shut themselves away for a couple of weeks to prevent spreading (the great thing about living in the middle of nowhere) but there's still the risk of catching it when we visit the city. I think ill see what my ob has to say about it tomorrow