+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default ANOTHER Flu Vax Thread

So Im 28 and have had the actual Flu once ever, which was last year. I ended up in hospital but only for a day so could have been worse I suppose. I am pro-vax but my 8yr old has never had the flu vax and neither have I.
    I have heard that "they" are freaking out a bit over the flu season for this year and saying its going to be a bad one..but dont they say that every year?

ANYWAY, I saw my OB the other day and he asked if I wanted the flu vax. When I said no he was gobsmacked and tried to convince me to get it. He told me pregnant women react 13 times worse than 'normal' people do to the flu. I told him Id think about it.

I got home and had a little look into it and it says that it takes 2 weeks from getting it before it becomes effective.....now I am due in 4 weeks, so if I did get it now, it wouldnt be effective for 2 weeks and then its only 2 weeks (4 weeks max) until I am no longer a 'pregnant woman' and this 13 times worse thing no longer applies to me. Plus, I cant help but feel like IF I did get the flu and started to go downhill, couldnt I get a c-section if they were concerned about bubbys health and safety? And yes, I realise 'just getting a c-section' isnt a quick fix or a highly desirable choice but you know what I mean.

So, once again, lets discuss the flu vax, but this time for women who are ALMOST due....is it worth it?

(Oh and yes I am aware that it covers bubby for 6 months if done while pregnant)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post

(Oh and yes I am aware that it covers bubby for 6 months if done while pregnant)
    I think so just for this reason. I've just hit 3rd trimester, booked in to get mine on tues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it were me, I would get it.

When I was in the late stages of pregnancy with DD1 I caught the flu. I was 38 weeks. I wound up having a caesarian as I was too exhausted from illness to labour and I went seriously downhill. As I was sick I was unable to get out of bed after the caesarian, my lungs wound up filling with fluid and I week later I was readmitted with pneumonia.

I realise this was a worse case scenario. But it was an awful to start life with a new baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, as I've at this point (22 weeks) chosen not to get it as I have never had the flu, and never had a flu shot. Although I am pro-vax for all vaccinations.

Am totally undecided still as to whether I should get it or not.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its hard to refuse the vax without coming across as a horrible monster who "doesnt want to protect the unborn child".
    I have found that people say "but dont you want to protect the baby?" ...and yes obviously I do BUT she wont be getting the flu vax on the outside anyway because its not something I do. Does that make sense?

I should also mention that I have panic and anxiety attacks and one of the triggers is taking medications......so injecting myself with things isnt something that fills me with a sense of calm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My Gp was gobsmacked too that i didn't want it then and there! I said calmly that I would talk to my midwife/ob when I saw them next and let her know! I think I've missed out because I'm may be having a c section in two and a bit weeks, and I don't see my ob until Tuesday! I had it once ( dh at the same time) and we both have never been so sick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 17 weeks and I'm struggling to decide if I should have it

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was pregnant with DS it was right around the Swine Flu flurry and I talked to my GP about what he thought (I'm pro vax but never do I get the flu shot)
    His opinion was he couldn't tell me either way whether to get it or not, but if I was his daughter he would say not to bother - this though I guess isn't as related as the swine flu vaccine was so rushed through trials whereas with this general flu one they've used it for a long time and just altered the flu it targets.
    So I'm not very helpful, but at my current position of 9.5weeks pregnant no I'm not getting it nor do I think I will

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently this one includes Swine Flu.

Im pretty sure I wont bother, especially considering I only have 4 weeks left AND Ive never had the vax before....still a bit iffy for me I think.

But interested to hear more replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as I know this years flu vax covers the h1n2 and the h2n3 swine flu which was prevalent last year. I had the first lot of swine flu when I was 34 weeks preg and had to be hospitalised for 3 days, I was very sick and had to take tamiflu medication. If I had been immunized then I might have been fine just a bit sick, instead my dh had to take 4 days off work to look after the kids plus worry that our unborn child was going to be alright.i have had this years flu shot the other day and they have a new one now with a tiny little needle that you don't even feel going in and unlike past years I didn't even get a temp or sore arm afterwards.i like to think of the vax as a sort of insurance as I cannot afford to be that sick.It would also affect you after bubs is born as I don't think you can bf if your taking tamiflu and anyway you would be too sick to care for a baby.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 11-04-2013 at 13:36.