+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, sadly I do remember and do think of poor little Sophia everytime my girls need to use the toilet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Atropos I agree with Sonja & Tadpoles that it is highly unlikely, but it's just an uneasy feeling to be on your own in a room with a closed door with a strange man.

I mentioned his occupation to demonstrate that he's an employee of the centre so should be representing his employer in a good light. I would have felt the same if he was an admin staff member or a security guard.

I didn't think that he might have been checking toilet paper / soap etc, so potentially he was doing that.

And I think in this context his gender does matter. Although i prefer to cover up, I would breastfeed my baby without cover in a room full of only women, but wouldn't feel comfortable doing the same in a room full of men. I guess I feel that way because women have their own boobs to look at and also understand that their primary purpose is to nourish babies, whereas some men (not all men!!) think of them solely as something sexual and might sneak a peak (generally speaking, not necessarily referring to what happened today). The only men who I feel comfortable with seeing my breasts are my husband and those in the medical field where it's necessary. I know many women are more confident with feeding uncovered around men, but each to their own.
    If you feel uncomfortable feeding out in the open, that's okay, you know? Nothing I say will talk you out of feeling that way, it's personal choice Maybe you could try one of those nursing covers if you'd rather not feed openly, but don't feel comfortable in the parents room?
    I do disagree that his gender matters here- he didn't do anything to you, he didn't yank the curtain aside to ogle you, he went into the toilet for a few minutes, then left. Men are just as entitled to enter this room- it's a 'parents' room, after all, and although we don't know his reason for being in there, we can most likely assume it was to do with his job. If he'd come in and stared at you while bf, fair enough, but he didn't approach you.

Just as an aside, many women feel breasts are sexual as opposed to nourishing too. I was kind of horrified to realise this. But it's true. If you go through the comments on news articles to do with bf in public, there is a disturbingly large number of women banging on about being covered up for that very reason.

Funnily enough, the last time I used a parents room, I was alone in there with a man. I didn't even think of it until now. He was in the bf "booth" next to mine, fixing something on the light. I was more concerned with the giant chair in the tiny booth that meant my knees were sticking out and that I had to sit in the booth directly opposite the toilet as the electrician was in the other. Stiiinky! I only went in because I wanted a more comfy chair for my bad back.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (10-04-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (10-04-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (10-04-2013),shelle65  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Sorry I have to disagree too altropos.
    There are some strange and sinister people that hand around the shops... You never know what they are up too.

I would be rather frightened if I was in my own feeding too and a bloke came in for 5 mins no matter whether he worked there or not.

Most of us would remember what happened to Sophia shou that was brutally mustered in a public disabled toilets in Perth a few years back poor little girl
    There are strange people everywhere. What happened to Sophia was terrible of course. My point was that it is extremely rare. I wasn't trying to dismiss anyone's concerns just to reassure that although such things happen, they are NOT common. A woman is far more likely to be sexually assaulted or raped by someone that she knows, in a premeditated attack. Opportunistic attacks are not common.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Yes, sadly I do remember and do think of poor little Sophia everytime my girls need to use the toilet.
    I don't think one could forget. I think it really affected everyone so sad... May she rest peacefully

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DH won't take his kid into parents rooms. The very first time he went in with both me and DS and I'd finished feeding him an DH went to the toilet as i was finishing up but DS was getting cranky so I left the toilet and begun walk up the corridor DH come walking out with his head hung low and just coming out the corridor we were met by security the lady who hadnt seen DH with me ad DS and only seen him come ou of the toilet ripped through him for being a pervert and rang the security button. Every other time our kids needed a feed or a change and DH was with me he waited outside the room or we went to the car. He feels so uncomfortable bing in a parents room now.
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 10-04-2013 at 20:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    DH won't take his kid into parents rooms. The very first time he went in with both me and DS and I'd finished feeding him an DH went to the toilet as i was finishing up but DS was getting cranky so I left the toilet and begun walk up the corridor DH come walking out with his head hung low and just coming out the corridor we were met by security the lady who hadnt seen DH with me ad DS and only seen him come ou of the toilet ripped through him for being a pervert and rang the security button. Every other time our kids needed a feed or a change and DH was with me he waited outside the room or we went to the car. He feels so uncomfortable bing in a parents room now.
    I would definitely have complained about that- how presumptuous- what, just because he's a man, he's a pervert? I get so cranky with that kind of attitude- my DH is the best, most caring, most hands on dad that I know. Yet he too feels uncomfortable using parents rooms. And he shouldn't. There is no reason for him to feel like that.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (10-04-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (10-04-2013),VicPark  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    MonsterMoosMum, that is awful. I feel sorry for your DH that he doesn't feel comfortable to go in there with you anymore.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I would definitely have complained about that- how presumptuous- what, just because he's a man, he's a pervert? I get so cranky with that kind of attitude- my DH is the best, most caring, most hands on dad that I know. Yet he too feels uncomfortable using parents rooms. And he shouldn't. There is no reason for him to feel like that.
    The way the room was lay out. To the left were 2 toilets then straight out if the doora there was a lounge with a kitchenette thing then net to tha change tables anther couch then 2 cubicles with curtains. I fed in the cubcles but she sat in the lounge near he kitchenette feeding and DH walke out of the toilet and towards the exit and apparently ogled her pfft DH isn't that type f person and I seen him as he walked out he wa tryi to be so discreet felt bad for making her feeling uncomfortable. Because i had such a hard time being comfortable with breast feeding i felt self conscious and uncomfortable with people about it and he knww how hard it was for me and he would never make anther woman feel uncomfortable fir feeding their bub But it was his first and last time in a parents room
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 10-04-2013 at 20:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is why I'm so iffy on the subject of course the op is not the exact situation but what about a man go was in Dh situation would you react or think the same. I honestly feel its more uncomfortable to be a man in a patent room to a woman. But I guess in saying that its people who don't have kids and use those rooms make it harder for people like DH. Catch 22 huh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When DS was a newbie I was feeding him in the parents room, a teenage boy came in and took a big, huge, stinky **** and then left. Omfg. I knew it was a teenage boy by himself, because we both had the awkward moment of quickly trying to get out the door at the same time :/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast