+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I see daycare as formal long childcare, whereas creche is more informal and normally for just a couple of hours - such as: at church, at the gym, at a shopping centre, etc.

What bothers me is people refering to daycare as "kindy". To me "kindy" means "pre-school", a structured school-like environment, whereas at daycare, kids can arrive and leave at any time. I understand they have a kindy-room for the older kids at daycare, and have a more structured educational program throughout the middle of the day, so it blurs the line a little bit, but I still do not see the whole thing being referred to as "kindy". I however am happy for people to say that a child does kindy at their daycare.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    I guess that too is where are you or where are you from to what you call. I me kindy is pre prep (pre preparatory) aka is school/care 2years prior to grade one and preschool to me us is prep (preparatory) aka school/care 1 year prior to grade one
    By "kindy" I am referring to a school-like program that occurs the year prior to primary school, and is privately operated and not all children attend. For example, my 4yo attends "kindy" at a C&K centre in Queensland. (Her school day is 8:30 am until 2:30 pm.) Other 4yo's go to daycare and experience a kindy program at daycare. But when they are said to be attending "kindy" it then follows on that their 2yo sybling is also attending "kindy".

I have previously seen a government page that listed the various terms that "kindy" and the "foundation" year of school was called in the various states. I cannot seem to find it at the moment but found a wiki page. However I was sure there were more different terms than is listed on the wiki page.

It says that the year before school (which I would term "kindy") is called "pre-school" in ACT, NT, and NSW, or "kindergarten" in SA, WA, Vic, and Tas, and "pre-prep" or "kindergarten" in Qld. (I was under the understanding that it was officially "pre-prep" in Qld, but people generally said either "kindy" or "pre-school" because that was what it had been historically.)

And it states that the first formal year of schooling (in primary school, prior to year one) is called "kindergarten" in ACT and NSW, "transition" in NT, "reception" in SA, "pre-primary" in WA, and "preparatory" in Qld, Tas, and Vic. I have heard that there are moves to rename the year nationwide to "foundation" which would at least be consistent, but seems to me like a horrible term without a logical abbreviation.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 12-04-2013 at 10:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well I guess I'm wrong I always thought it went pre prep then prep then grade one. I'll ask around but I'm sure that's what I've been told by everyone when I asked

Thanks
    Reviews
    These days it is now called pre prep then prep then grade one. It was called kindy then preschool then grade one (in qld)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (12-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/hubbub-blog...-in-australia/

This should help there's a chart to show you but yes essentially it's pre prep prep then grade one
    Last edited by BH-tech; 17-08-2015 at 11:17. Reason: Link Update

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    looks at the chart

the shart shows "kindy" then "prep" for Queensland. I am certain that the official term is "pre-prep" but the common term is "kindy" or "pre-school" in Queensland.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But any who I say is daycare then pre prep then prep then the grade which follows it seems to save a lot if confusion when I speak to people (until now haha)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well I must have misunderstood what you were trying say sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    :/ since when did the names of "grades" before yr one become so complicated?! I still refer to kindy as the transition 2 yrs before grade one, preschool the yr before officially starting school.

It's be nice if if were uniform across the country too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in QLD and we say kindy, prep, then year one.

Daycare is something different. DD won't be going to daycare at all. There are daycare centres that run kindy programmes, but not teacher qualified ones like c&k do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Actually Girl X, there are daycare centres that run government approved kindy program's with registered teachers.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (13-04-2013)