+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    No, not the only one. I agree with Indigo J- what others call kebabs are shishkebabs.

In other parts of Aus they may be yiros, but here they are marketed as kebabs.. and even in Melb I see them sold as kebabs.
    Haha good I was starting to feel like the odd one out lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    I say daycare, however my MIL says creche, I am not sure why.
    I see daycare as formal long childcare, whereas creche is more informal and normally for just a couple of hours - such as: at church, at the gym, at a shopping centre, etc.

What bothers me is people refering to daycare as "kindy". To me "kindy" means "pre-school", a structured school-like environment, whereas at daycare, kids can arrive and leave at any time. I understand they have a kindy-room for the older kids at daycare, and have a more structured educational program throughout the middle of the day, so it blurs the line a little bit, but I still do not see the whole thing being referred to as "kindy". I however am happy for people to say that a child does kindy at their daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I see daycare as formal long childcare, whereas creche is more informal and normally for just a couple of hours - such as: at church, at the gym, at a shopping centre, etc.

What bothers me is people refering to daycare as "kindy". To me "kindy" means "pre-school", a structured school-like environment, whereas at daycare, kids can arrive and leave at any time. I understand they have a kindy-room for the older kids at daycare, and have a more structured educational program throughout the middle of the day, so it blurs the line a little bit, but I still do not see the whole thing being referred to as "kindy". I however am happy for people to say that a child does kindy at their daycare.
    I guess that too is where are you or where are you from to what you call. I me kindy is pre prep (pre preparatory) aka is school/care 2years prior to grade one and preschool to me us is prep (preparatory) aka school/care 1 year prior to grade one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know someone who says 'next weekend' when its 'this weekend'

Like on monday, she'll go "what are you up to next weekend?"but means this weekend, 5 days away. Not next weekend meaning the weekend after this weekend.

Drives me nuts.

No...I haven't been drinking!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post

Like on monday, she'll go "what are you up to next weekend?"but means this weekend, 5 days away. Not next weekend meaning the weekend after this weekend.

Drives me nuts.

Omg I'm not the only one! MIL msged me the other day saying there is a BBQ for SIL's birthday next Saturday. I say oh that's good coz we have an engagement party to go to this Saturday. She said 'so they are on the same day?' I said 'no you said next Saturday' and she said 'yeah the next Saturday we come to.'
    THAT'S NOT NEXT SATURDAY THAT'S THIS SATURDAY! She made me feel like an idiot. I knew I was right lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (12-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Drives me nuts.

I know people that do this. It's really confusing when making plans

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (12-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    North central vic.. So not really lol
    I think we pick up most of these things from our parents. One of my parents is from Wangaratta.

Thanks
    Reviews

Drives me nuts.

I say 'next Saturday' for the one coming up. I say it that way because it IS the next Saturday we will have. If I was referring to the following week I would say 'Saturday after next'.
    Last edited by 3cats1pug; 12-04-2013 at 10:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say... 'On Saturday' if I mean the one coming up or 'next weekend' for the one after lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say "this coming Saturday" and then "Saturday week" for the following Saturday - DH always gives me an odd look though as it's not a term he grew up with.

I also say greyleads and am never sure as some classes I've worked in in WA call them lead pencils, but others just 'writing pencils'.

I get caught out more with zooms/windups/twist crayons - that one also seems to vary school to school!