+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Out To Pasture View Post
    We call the Prima's Fruit Box
    The bottle a Pop Top.

I noticed when I lived in S.A for a year A souvalaki is a yiros.

My DH comes from Scotland, Glasgow. Some of his words drive me bonkers lol.
    Like a packet of chips are crisps.
    Sauce is Ketchup.
    Coke a Cola or Iron Bru is juice.
    Poo is Jobee which I get a laugh at.
    'Think that's funny ya wee Jobee?'
    LOVE IT!!! My parents and I are Scottish and that brought back so many memories. Since moving to Aust some 23 years ago we have dropped some of the words, like jobee. Haven't heard that since I was about 10! Mum and dad still call soft drink juice but I had to lose that pretty quickly being a kid in Aust as no-one knew what I was on about. We all still call chips crisps, unless they are hot chips.

Another one we use is bunker, meaning kitchen bench. I only started phasing that one out when I moved out of home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    After moving from QLD to NSW, DS of course had to start at a new school. His new teacher struggled to answer his questions about tuckshop (canteen) and parade (assembly) as she had no idea what those terms were..lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Why?
    Lol, I thought it just sounded more appropriate than a napkin which is also referred to as a "sanitary pad".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Lol, I thought it just sounded more appropriate than a napkin which is also referred to as a "sanitary pad".
    I've never knew sanitary pads were referred to as napkins lol I say napkin DH says napkin too. Though MIL always corrects us "it's a serviette not a napkin" drive me bonkers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in WA and I have no idea what a Dagwood dog or a Pluto Pup is???

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    It's a hot dog in batter, deep fried. Yum!! (on a stick)

corn-dog.jpg

We have kebabs here... "I went out Saturday night and ended up walking home with a dirty great big kebab"... where I used to live had a very heavy muslim population, and I swear we had the best kebabs in Australia.. now that we've moved, they're sub-standard.. I'm full of regret

Everyone says nappies right, they don't say diapers?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I just spoke with Miss19 and she mentioned that the racks were always called "port racks" at school, but the bags were only ever "bags" or "backpacks". She never thought anything of it until I pointed out that schoolbags used to be called "ports" so now she understands where the term "port rack" comes from.
    It was the same for me in school. Except I did ask my dad once about it and he said it was because it was the same design (the port racks construction IYKWIM) as what pirates used to store their rum and port bottles. I'm guessing he ment like a wine rack.

This is why I don't ask my father questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    It's a hot dog in batter, deep fried. Yum!! (on a stick)

Attachment 34795

We have kebabs here... "I went out Saturday night and ended up walking home with a dirty great big kebab"... where I used to live had a very heavy muslim population, and I swear we had the best kebabs in Australia.. now that we've moved, they're sub-standard.. I'm full of regret

Everyone says nappies right, they don't say diapers?
    Pluto pup!!!! Lol and yep nappies here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I thought it was written "forehead" but pronounced "forrid", though I find that I have pronounced it "for-hed" since discovering the meaning of the prefix "fore-". I just thought I was saying it wrong.
    I've just done some reading on this one, and I see what you mean.

The traditional pronunciation was always 'forrid' (to rhyme with horrid), but apparently it changed somewhere around the turn of last century, and is now more commonly pronounced as per the spelling.

Both are viewed as correct, although forrid is more common in elderly speakers, and four-head the usual modern pronunciation. So there we go...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMouse84 View Post
    LOVE IT!!! My parents and I are Scottish and that brought back so many memories. Since moving to Aust some 23 years ago we have dropped some of the words, like jobee. Haven't heard that since I was about 10! Mum and dad still call soft drink juice but I had to lose that pretty quickly being a kid in Aust as no-one knew what I was on about. We all still call chips crisps, unless they are hot chips.

Another one we use is bunker, meaning kitchen bench. I only started phasing that one out when I moved out of home.
    Children/kids are Waynes.
    I am called a Wee Hen alot.. lol

I'll keep adding more when I can remember them :P