+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 314
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    You mean like agricultural show, with rides, show bags, dog jumping, needlework etc? It's 'The [town name] show' usually, but sometimes there is another word thrown in there, like spring etc.

    A fete to me is a smaller affair, associated with churches and primary schools and primarily held as a fundraiser
    I would call the 'show' a 'fair'. And I call a toasted sandwich a 'grill cheese.' It's like we speak a completely different language!

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Well we use doona, and a quilt is a blanket made from cotton, usually quite pretty to look at.
    Same here in Vic. Doona on the bed (the one with the feathers) and quilt is a blanket type thing, usually patchwork etc

    In my family we say primas
    pop tops (though these didn't exist in the 80's),
    Potato cakes (a scollop is seafood)
    Couch in the lounge or living room
    Thongs or flip flops
    Face washer
    Jumpers (not sweaters etc)
    24 beers is a slab
    You wear bathers to the pool
    Textas for drawing
    School bag (my grandma from QLD called her suitcase her port, we called our garage our car port... Weird)
    Back of car is the boot (heard ppl use trunk or port)
    Esky
    Tissues (hate hearing Kleenex)
    Toilet paper (not toilet tissue tho lol)
    Undies or knickers (knickers is only for girls tho, undies is unisex)

    And we always used the term 'battered sav' (saveloy) for a Dagwood dog.
    Last edited by 3cats1pug; 10-04-2013 at 18:36.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

    MrsSS  (11-04-2013)

  4. #213
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,303
    Thanks
    2,803
    Thanked
    3,075
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I don't think i ever heard bags referred to as 'ports' in QLD.
    Are you a generation X-er? It seems to have fizzled out after Gen Y it seems, as another qld'er who was 21yrs old said she'd never heard of it either.

    There's been a few ladies on here from Qld including a teacher who used the word school port.

  5. #214
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the wild things are
    Posts
    7,022
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked
    686
    Reviews
    15
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to work with a kiwi girl and she kept going on about the chulli bun. Wtf? Wtf is a chulli bun? A chilli bun? Huh. Eventually she had to explain she was saying chilly bin or esky. God it was confusing!



    Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

  6. #215
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,184
    Thanks
    1,622
    Thanked
    2,172
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a Victorian living in WA so endlessly having to learn new names for things!

    I submit exhibit A into evidence in the 'jaffle' case.


    I call them Jaffles if sealed on the edges, toasties if flat and squashed together.

    Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub
    Attached Images

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Nomsie  (10-04-2013),Nmgb  (11-04-2013)

  8. #216
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    townsville
    Posts
    2,816
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked
    1,277
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Are you a generation X-er? It seems to have fizzled out after Gen Y it seems, as another qld'er who was 21yrs old said she'd never heard of it either.

    There's been a few ladies on here from Qld including a teacher who used the word school port.
    We had bags and bag racks lol but was talking to DH who is 4 years older and he's heard and called then ports and port racks. Either i just didn't pay enough attention or its not commonly used anymore
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 10-04-2013 at 18:38.

  9. #217
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    townsville
    Posts
    2,816
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked
    1,277
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I'm a Victorian living in WA so endlessly having to learn new names for things!

    I submit exhibit A into evidence in the 'jaffle' case.


    I call them Jaffles if sealed on the edges, toasties if flat and squashed together.

    Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub
    Thankyou!!!!!

  10. #218
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    15,262
    Thanks
    628
    Thanked
    1,178
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    DS has been to 2 different QLD schools now and both have them have called the bag areas port racks. I still find it odd lol. I grew up in Canberra. I also correct DH when he refers to uni as college. To me college is year 11 and 12 for ACT or a private secondry school.

  11. #219
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,229
    Thanks
    761
    Thanked
    779
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Once a lady at work (I was visiting with my 8 week old) asked if she could nurse my baby. I was like 'what?!'. I thought she meant breast feed, not a cuddle!!

  12. #220
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,902
    Thanks
    7,193
    Thanked
    7,289
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cats1pug View Post
    Same here in Vic. Doona on the bed (the one with the feathers) and quilt is a blanket type thing, usually patchwork etc

    In my family we say primas
    pop tops (though these didn't exist in the 80's),
    Potato cakes (a scollop is seafood)
    Couch in the lounge or living room
    Thongs or flip flops
    Face washer
    Jumpers (not sweaters etc)
    24 beers is a slab
    You wear bathers to the pool
    Textas for drawing
    School bag (my grandma from QLD called her suitcase her port, we called our garage our car port... Weird)
    Back of car is the boot (heard ppl use trunk or port)
    Esky
    Tissues (hate hearing Kleenex)
    Toilet paper (not toilet tissue tho lol)
    Undies or knickers (knickers is only for girls tho, undies is unisex)

    And we always used the term 'battered sav' (saveloy) for a Dagwood dog.
    You're almost exactly the same as me (wonder if we grew up in roughly the same area? lol) except when I hear the term 'battered sav' I can't help but think of Roy and HG during the Sydney Olympics commentating the mens gymnastics


 

Similar Threads

  1. If your kids call your partner 'mum', what do they call you?
    By thewritestuff in forum Same Sex Parents
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 19:24
  2. How often do you call?
    By LivinOnAPrayer in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 18:45
  3. What do you call your dh?
    By knomie in forum General Chat
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 14:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Hire For Baby Perth
New RETAIL store - Perth Hire For Baby Perth
Here at Hire for Baby, we offer a wide range of products from Child Restraints to Strollers, Stroller Accessories and Oricom Baby Monitors. Wholesale prices - till the stock ends. Buy from us and get the installation for FREE.
Like us on Facebook and get $10 OFF
featured supporter
Shapland Swim Schools
Semi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools are located across Brisbane, Ipswich and the Sunshine Coast, ensuring there's a school near you.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!