+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Whilst I don't agree with not being allowed to eat, I think a teacher is well within their rights to keep a child in for not completing work if they made no real effort to finish it when required.
    Completely agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Missing out on eating. no way! At my daughters school they have 10 minutes dedicated eating time.

Missing out on play. Yes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't imagine a teacher not allowing food? That is definitely wrong. I'm sure they wouldn't keep the child in the whole break, would they? After all the teacher would want a break too.

However, if a child is disruptive during class and didn't do the work, well then I think it's fine to keep them in during lunch. There have to be some consequences to bad behavior.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After eating then yes fine keep them in but they need to have eaten first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No child should ever be made to miss out on eating.

Being kept in to finish work is a different issue. I have a ds with adhd, working memory and processing problems which make his writing skills very slow. He is often kept in for reasons he can't control. I dont agree with that especially if it is everyday. IF Child is mucking around and it not a everyday thing than that's ok.IYKIM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I know this, I think there are better ways to get children to engage than to keep them from their active/eating time.
    Sometimes all other avenues have been exhausted. It's a last resort in my classroom, but yep, I've kept kids in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Sometimes all other avenues have been exhausted. It's a last resort in my classroom, but yep, I've kept kids in.
    I don't think mine has been kept in at lunch, they have a 'thinking room' to which they have to go and sit with the principal and chat with her until the issue is resolved and a note is sent home. I prefer to be notified, that way we can talk to him about it at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I don't think mine has been kept in at lunch, they have a 'thinking room' to which they have to go and sit with the principal and chat with her until the issue is resolved and a note is sent home. I prefer to be notified, that way we can talk to him about it at home.
    I would love a room like that, better than me not having my break, either!

We do have detention, but that is for serious misdemeanours or repeat incidences.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 09-04-2013 at 16:40.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Benji  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawzette View Post
    I dont agree with missing the eating part of lunch, but the actual play part, yes. As a mother of a child that gets distracted easy and just mucks around yes I think he should miss the play part of lunch.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    I agree this is my son too and I also have his teacher send home on weekends what he doesnt complete to finish before he gets to do fun stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm talking about 7-8 year olds.

I'm all for finishing work, but doing it during eating time isn't on IMO.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub