+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default PCOS and pregnancy (Qs - Insulin resistance and progesterone help)

Hi! (not sure if this is posted in the right place)
    When we had tests done for PCOS many years ago - I had most of the symptoms except when we had the u/s I had like 2 less follicles than what would be required to be properly diagnosed. Even though I have gone back to pre-pregnancy weight every time (including good BMI), losing weight is a full-on thing and keeping it off is a struggle. My acne is horrid and embarrassing at my age. It's hormone linked as I buy a good face wash, avoid wearing make up (if possible) and nothing helps.
    We needed clomid to ovulate and eventually got our first sticky bub, had another two all close together. Since losing two pregnancies my cycles have started lengthening out again. I am having a test to check insulin resistance etc finally after all this time. I have a few questions though:

What was peoples' experiences with insulin resistance? What are your experiences after you had meds to help?

Have you needed post-conception progesterone help to maintain a pregnancy?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    bumpity bump bump a baroo for the evening ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I took metformin and I was slim with PCOS (49kg) but definitely had a degree of insulin resistance. I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl.
    We miscarried our first pregnancy but it was a blighted ovum and I ovulated very late in the cycle so believe it was a poor quality egg.

Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I have a lot of the symptoms of pcos but my hormone levels aren't really out of whack. The doctors conclusion was i might have a milder form but she couldn't say for sure either way.
    I have insulin resistance but only mildly. I've been on metformin for a bit over a year now. I haven't really noticed any changes good or bad. It's certainly not helping me to lose weight but my BGL's have come down slightly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was diagnosed with pcos and mild insulin resistance (fasting was fine but two hour test was just outside normal) in September last year. I was told I didn't need medication so just saw a dietician and went in a low carb diet. My BMI was 24.5 when diagnosed and dropped to 22 after about 12 weeks eating low carb. After blood tests showed I didn't ovulate during July/August I did two rounds if clomid that resulted in bfns. After my diet changes I ovulated on my own in January (still not til cd22 but without meds) and am now 15+3 weeks pregnant without requiring any progesterone or other support.
    I'm meant to have done another GTT early in pregnancy due to the high risk of gestational diabetes but so far severe morning sickness has stopped me going it . But the OB thinks the weight loss means I'm lower risk now (plus my BMI us now 19 courtesy of the morning sickness!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. Just trying to gather some info. Probably won't get test done til Saturday as it's a fasting one. No, I haven't seen an endocrynologist. I haven't had my cycles blow out like this since before we had baby no.1.