+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help with the transition..

I have a 2 1/2 year old DS and a baby who is due early June. We are currently relocating in a couple of weeks to where hubby works (Navy) and I am not worried about the move at all but am worried about my son.

We currently live in a town with family and he see's my parents all the time and loves them. He has a special relationship with them which I think is beautiful. He has only just settled Ito his child care "school" and he has basically adjusted.

I know being in a Defence family that he will have to move around and this is just the beginning. But a new "school", new house, new room, no other familiar faces around and a new baby!? That is a lot to take in all at once!

Any hints on helping him with the transition? I know patience will be my friend (hoping so!!) and we have talked to him regularly about the baby, new house and being with daddy again etc...

It breaks my heart that I am taking him away from all he has known.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing as I'm moving across the country soon and same as you Op, have to take ds1 out of preschool and they're both in love with their nan so it's going to be tough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck Misho! Hoping someone can give us a hint to making it easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why don't you start experimenting with Skype before you go? It's free, so he can chat to them as often as he likes.

My postie reads a bedtime story to his 2yr old grandchild regularly this way - a very special time & bond for them.

Get some lovely photos of him with them (and any other special people) and do a collage frame for his room.

Take him shopping to buy a 'special' new bed set for his exciting new room.

Most importantly try to keep his normal routine the same during and after the move as best as possible.

Hope this is of some help! Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Pesca! We Skype DH all the time so that is something we will do with the grandparents. Photos in his room etc are great ideas!

Two weeks before we go now and not looking forward to the goodbye!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved last year, quite a distance. Dd1 was 2 years 3 months and dd2 was 4 months.

We had about 3 weeks notice, so not much time for goodbyes. But, we talked a lot about it with dd1. We had her help with packing. We talked about how all of her old things would be there in her new room. She was there and saw the men pack her beloved things onto the truck, such as her rocking horse, tricycle, slide, etc.

We put our cat into a carrier and my dh popped her in the car, we made a big deal about how daddy would drive the car with our cat, and watch the men with the truck bring all our things safely.

We flew a couple of days later.

It was great for settling into our new house that all of her same furniture was here. So, I disagree with the post about new bedroom furniture, that would've been a disaster with our dd.

Oh, we stuck photos of grandpa, all her friends, her cousins etc up on her bed head. It really helped to have these photos, she recognizes them, and knows their faces when we talk about or to them on the phone.

Hope that helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

FruitBowl  (27-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks preggasaurus! We flew in last night and the hotel is a nightmare. Just trying to keep DS busy. He has asked about his cousins a bit but so far no meltdowns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will probably find that the kids will cope better than you ! We've just returned from a trip to the uk DS was awesome n the flight, a bit sick 24 hours after but generally great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitBowl View Post
    Thanks preggasaurus! We flew in last night and the hotel is a nightmare. Just trying to keep DS busy. He has asked about his cousins a bit but so far no meltdowns.
    Good luck with it all! Moving is really stressful, but I tried really hard to seem calm about it all for my girls. Don't know if it worked, but we survived!

Hope you settle in and make a friend or 2 soon. I found joining playgroup, the library and taking dd1 to toddler ballet great, as it gave me a chance to chat to other mums, and chatting with other mums also helped me find a gp, dentist, chiro, mchn, immunisation clinic, etc. All those services you need to find when you have kids.

Good luck with it all!