+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did shared care with my GP for my first pregnancy and it was great I loved my GP.

For my second and third pregnancies I did case load and it was amazing. It's your own personal midwife who takes care of you and bub throughout your pregnancy. I loved the entire experience and would recommend it to anybody who asked. I would rave about my experience with the public health system in my area.

As for them asking you intrusive questions, it's their job, they have to do it. It is to monitor for PND risk factors, triggers and symptoms. It alerts them to any issues that they might be able to help some women with such as social workers, housing, dv etc.

Unfortunately the antenatal clinics can be inundated with women and bubs and this is when people can feel like a number. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Perhaps you would benefit from the assistance of a student midwife? They would care and be interested in your individual pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I forgot to say that it is extremely unlikely that you will deliver bub with one of the midwives you have seen. Midwives tend to work in certain areas. Eg. Postnatal, antenatal, delivery etc and not all over the place. They find a speciality they like and tend to stick with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MWL you have scared me off RWBH now! I was tossing up between their birthing centre and Redcliffe... eep.

Sorry you had such a crappy time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sure since you have done your booking in appt with them you could opt to just have regular visits with ur gp (as long as he is obstetrics trained) and then birth at the hospital as long as your scans etc are forwarded to them you have had frequent care throughout pregnancy you wouldn't automatically considered high risk. Have a chat to your gp next time you see him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I had a similar experience for my first hospital appointment at a different hospital in WA. I ended up transferring hospitals as I was so unhappy (midwife told me as I was overweight I didn't need to eat at all for the rest if pregnancy! I wasn't that overweight & that's just ridiculous full stop!)

I had all apointments with my gp until 36 weeks then saw the new hospital after that for the final appointments. I also have a great GP and was having the best care through her. I found that the best option for me and plan to do the same in any other pregnancies!

Good luck with whatever care u choose to proceed with! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My experience of shared care has been very different.

I also have a GP I love, but I've enjoyed my hospital appointments. I think it does depend on who you get on a given day. It helps I'm now having my visits at a hospital that only has a 30 minute wait. Last pregnancies I had 3 hour waits and no one is feeling very happy after a long wait in hard plastic chairs with toddlers going crazy because no one'd thought to provide toys.

Perhaps this midwife just had an unfortunate manner, I don't know. Sometimes when you get off to a bad start with someone (ie her reaction to you not having a NT scan) it colours everything else that happens. I had a mean midwife in the maternity ward and I swear I'll remember that cow 'til my dying breath.

I know there are lots of questions, but a hospital that just sent out forms to fill out would be neglecting its duty of care to its patients. What about non-English speakers, and people with literacy issues? And the answers you give may prompt them to ask other questions that elicit important information.

I agree that immunisation is your choice to make. I can also understand how someone who works in a hospital could have a strong opinion about it, particularly if it's a hospital that also treats children and young babies. It must be hard to see kids dying of a preventable illness because their parents didn't immunise, or pre-vac aged babies dying because they're exposed to other people's unvaxed children. She oughtn't to have spoken to you as though you had no choice, however.

As for questions about DV, I remember working for a Government agency and interviewing single mums, and you'd be surprised how many jumped at the opportunity to confide an abusive situation if asked. Sometimes women are stuck in a situation and their men are controlling and isolate them from sources of help. And violence often begins or escalates in pregnancy. If once I awhile one woman opens up and gets some help, I don't mind the question at all.

I'm not sure what'd happen if you stopped hospital appointments...as a registered shared care provider, your GP might be able to tell you.

I hope your future appointments are more positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The domestic violence questions are standard in qld public hospitals. I got asked them as well even tho my partner is female and the birth mother of our first child who just moments before was discussing breastfeeding with the midwife (hardly the violent type!!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies!!
    My gp is trained in obstetrics as well so I'm really confident in his care. I also did shared care with him for DS so he certainly has first hand knowledge of me in this situation etc.

Also we have the help of a student middie for extra support and someone familiar. DF really liked the idea of having the same person with us through the whole journey too. She is just lovely and also is a trained nurse so I feel very confident with her skills set.

It seems I did just get a bad egg. I can see how getting off to a bad start would put the rest of the appointment into a bad light.

I might look into reducing some appointments and only going to the minimum.

I would have loved to go to the birth centre but am inelligible due to having a previous C Section. I'm not high risk for having another C. It was 7yrs ago so plenty of healing time and It was due to fetal distress not failure to progress or go into labour naturally.

Appreciate all your stories. It has given me a bit more reassurance that she wasn't just being nasty or invasive asking alot of bizarre questions.

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh just thought I'd mention this site, it tells you what birth choices you can make in qld: www.qcmb.org.au