+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanicecream View Post
    Something to consider (not sure if its been mentioned) is how the car seat harness bolt (or whatever it is called) is situated. With my car (a Getz) the strap goes across the cargo area in the hatch, which cuts already limited space in half in terms of fitting in a pram.
    Yes, that's a real PITA!! Our old Ford Laser hatchback is like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love my Mazda 2 (new style), but I bought it before I even thought of having a baby. IMO it's a very safe car, wonderful to drive and a great small car....

But .... with a baby capsule or a rear facing carseat in the back it makes the car very squashy. My front passenger seat is so far forward (to fit my SnS Compaq) that my knees touch the dash. It's fine when it's just my DP, DS & I in the car - no one sits in the front passenger. It becomes a real issue if we have a visitor as its too squashy for 2 adults in the back so one of use has to sit in the front, all cramped up.

Also..... You have to get a very compact pram to fit it in the boot. There is no way you can do a load of grocery shopping and fit a pram in. My agile stroller and matching nappy bag just fits in if I take a wheel off. even then it takes up the entire boot space. I find I just use a baby carrier most of the time so I still have some boot space.

I can see these things not being an issue once DS is forward facing and doesn't need a stroller anymore. But that's still a few years away.

In my honest opinion I would be looking at a Mazda 3 or bigger.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our Golf was our family's only car until we had #4. It was a squeeze for 10 year old DS1 when he had to sit in the back between the two car seats, but for two children it was perfect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My friend bought a ford fiesta a couple of years ago and is like you op, just starting to talk seriously about ttc but bought with a child in mind. She loves it.

She regularly has friends kids in her car, ranging from 3 months to about 5 years old. She has said the seats fit no problems. I don't know about boot space as I haven't asked.

Another option is a bmw (second hand of course!)'. We got a 528i second hand for a touch under 10k a bit over a year ago. We went from a VT to it and although it's technically a smaller car it feels huge inside. Plenty of room for car seats and the boot is MASSIVE. Parts can be a bit pricy though.

Just some other options.

Like a pp said, maybe test drive a few cars you like and take them to a baby shop to test out different seats/prams.

Happy car hunting

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would consider a golf! That's what I have now with three kids and its been brilliant.
    We have managed to squeeze the car seat in the middle (rear facing) so neither of the front seats need to be too far forward, my older two are 12 and 14 so we only have the one car seat. The boot is a good size as long as you don't have a huge pram (our mountain buggy urban does not fit).
    The model we have is the 2L turbo diesel and it has so much power but we still get over 800klms per tank.
    I will miss it heaps in a couple of weeks as we've traded it in for a mazda cx5, we needed just a little more room and I always wanted a SUV so it was time for an upgrade for us.

Edited to add, you should be able to pick up a comparable model to mine (2006 comfortline) for between 12-17k as I checked out what they are selling for before we traded, good luck car hunting!!
    Last edited by PaulsParadigm; 09-04-2013 at 11:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 2012 Hyundai i30, can fit ds's large booster seat in middle and 9 and 7 year old dd's on either side. I don't use a full sized buggy anymore but can fit a silvercross pushchair and a whole lot of shopping in boot. DH is 5"11 and can get in comfortably.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I drive a Mazda 2 and don't plan on upgrading when baby #2 arrives. We will see how I go though! Dh has a work car though so we use that at weekends. There's rarely anyone in the passenger seat but dh used to fit just fine. It will limit your choices when it comes to choosing prams and car seats though. I have a mountain buggy swift and love it. Also, if you plan on having weekends away or going camping it will be a tight squeeze with all the extra stuff. Having said that, I never take the pram away with us - I just use a carrier. I love my Mazda!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mazda 2 here as well (2005 model so slightly older) Love it. We have a Baby jogger city mini that can fit in the back easily along with loads of shopping. The front passenger seat can be a little squishy but still fine for me at 5'10. Never skipped a beat and we bought it for $8k second hand (bought it last year) it's been a fantastic buy all round.

Definitely possible to make bub fit into your schedule (loads of families who have to do the school run etc do it) but I think I'd find it a pain to do it every day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Demdez View Post
    We bought a Ford Focus, 4door hatch, 2008 model (I think) for $13000 & it's great! Boot is huge, room to spare with a pram in!
    I agree, I have the 2009 model and it's wonderful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have the new suzuki swift and I find it is bigger than the average hatch.