+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a three door Toyota something hatch. Never get a two door, it is a Pain!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so far ladies!

I used to drive a 2 door Festiva so have definitely done my turn with a 2 door! Painful even without kids!

My husband is around 5'7ish so is a shorty like me! I'm hoping this means he won't suffer to bad with leg room.

We currently have an old 96 corolla which is general a pretty good car and has sooo much space (no gadgets taking up space) but he'll need it to get to work and I was hoping for something newer and safer.

Could we even survive with one car if I drove him to work everyday and picked him up?

I have to confess we have only recently been serious about TTC and I've never been around babies or kids, so can you make their sleeping pattern work around you? Ie make the baby wake up to drive him to and fro?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I drive a Corolla, it's fine if you can put the passenger seat right forward when the baby seat needs to be rear facing.

DH and I are both tall so if we both need to be in the car he will drive and I would have to sit in the back behind the driver (with bub behind passenger seat). There is no way I could fit in the front with the seat right forward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    i know! plus i fit my double phil and teds verve in the boot! lol its quite amazing

I had the older version of Mazda 2 so maybe that made a difference.

When I looked for my golf 4 years ago, we looked at Mazda3 as well. They had just changed the Mazda2. Small changes make a big difference. My DH couldn't even fit in the driver seat in the new Mazda2, where he fit comfortably in my older version.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends OP. Some people say you will do what works for you, and if you NEED to do it, you could drive your DH to work etc and not worry about sleep/nap times.

TBH - I think it would be a PITA. When bub is young and if you use a capsule and perhaps a travel system pram (which means the capsule will fit in the pram), you can transfer bub without too much fuss and he/she can keep sleeping etc. We never used a capsule, so bub would wake every time he was moved in and out of the car.
    Babies have their routines change so much in such a short period of time. When they are first born they generally sleep the majority of time. If you have a baby who is going through a tough stage and you are having trouble getting him/her to sleep, I know I would HATE having to wake the child so i could pick DH up from work, if they had FINALLY managed to get to sleep.

TBH - I would do some research now, but perhaps just wait until you are pregnant to buy a new car, and then you can see how potential baby seats and prams fit in the new car.

We did a test drive with the Golf, and drove to the baby store and tried the pram and seat in the car to see how it works. It would be a MAJOR hassle buying a car only to realise it doesn't work for you.
    Any chance your DH can catch public transport to work if you don't want to buy a new car?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have recently bought a 7 seater car as we're about to have our 3rd and needed a bigger vehicle, but before that I had an i30 wagon. Loved it! Fit the 2 bubs and double pram in it absolutely no issues.

If you only had one smallish pram the non wagon version would probably be fine too

Thanks
    Reviews
    We currently have our Subaru forester in for repairs and have a corolla hire car.
    Carseat is similar to forester- means front passenger has to sit very far forward and upright, but does fit. The biggest thing is that the front seat cannot touch the carseat, there needs to be a gap.

I struggled however getting the pram in the boot (bugaboo cameleon3 with bassinet). Think carefully about your pram choice if getting a small car- we didn't need a small folding pram with the forester but it barely fits in the corolla. PITA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are about to get a subaru forrester for our bub. The subarus really feel safe to drive cause most of them are all wheel drive so the stick to the road really well. The outbacks are a little smaller (station wagon type thing) but not exactly a 'small car'. Suby's are brilliant tho and go forever. Thier main downside is that if something does go wrong the parts can cost more than say a commedore or a corolla. Definately worth looking into tho. Very comfy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Up until recently I had a Hyundai Elantra 2008 model. I loved it!! Great boot space and r/f car seat fit with no problems. They are great value and if you can find and slx model you'll get all the current safety features. 6 air bags etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Something to consider (not sure if its been mentioned) is how the car seat harness bolt (or whatever it is called) is situated. With my car (a Getz) the strap goes across the cargo area in the hatch, which cuts already limited space in half in terms of fitting in a pram.