+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Small car that is baby 'friendly'

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but I'm lookin for advice from those in the know. We are looking at TTC in a few months time and all going to plan we will need to buy a new car before bubs comes along.

Being the obsessive researcher I am I have started to investigate what cars may be ok size wise to fit a baby seat and still be somewhat comfy in the front.

Most likely we will be buying second hand up to $20k (at a push, would prefer $15k) and must be a 4 cylinder. I'm not interested in 2 doors at all!

Personally I am in LOVE with the Mazda 2 but I don't think that's a practical choice really!

I also really like the VW Golf.

Long story short, does anyone have any advice to share? Do you have a small car and did it work for you?

i should also mention that I don't care about resale value - we run our cars into the ground! And also we are definitely only planning one child so am not worried about fitting in two car seats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our main car was our Mazda 3 until we bought the captiva (we have 3 children and needed something BIG) It's got a good sized boot considering its a smaller car. We could easily put our strider plus in the boot with room. We had 2 car seats in the back with no dramas.

We bought it new in 2009 for just over 20000 so it would definitely be within your price range.

Good luck finding your perfect car

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I read something on the RACV website (i think) about fitting three car seat in a Toyota Yaris. If you compromise boot space I think the front seats will have plenty of room. That's if the baby seat will fit with the back seats pushed right back (i imagine it would but dont know as I havent tried).

I have a toyota yaris but we are actually thinking of getting a bigger car (ie. Corolla) when we have a baby as I think the boot would be too small in the yaris to fit a pram and groceries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought a Ford Focus, 4door hatch, 2008 model (I think) for $13000 & it's great! Boot is huge, room to spare with a pram in!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Demdez For This Useful Post:

saxonrose  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a golf.

I have 2 carseats in it comfortably.

I can fit a double city mini baby jogger in the boot. I was also able to fit a strider plus in the boot with manouvering.

I fit easily in it. My DH is 6'7" and can drive it with a car seat behind him and room for his knees. It was a bit of a squeeze fitting him in the passenger seat when the baby seat was rear facing.

Love my golf.

Mazda 2 is pretty much a no go. Not so much an issue fitting a car seat in there, but 2 kids would overwhelm the car, and even with only one seat I couldn't get the pram I bought in the boot when the car seat was installed. I sold my Mazda 2 for the golf.

I thought the Mazda 3 was great though.
    Look into Subaru too.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a Subaru Impreza wagon and it drives as neatly as a small car - we also had the hatchback version for a while and that was good too, they drove and parked the same. FANTASTIC car, cannot rate it highly enough. Fits anything and everything, very economical on fuel, cheap to service and has never given me a moment's trouble. I got a 2nd hand 4yo one for $18K.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i have a mazda 2 and i fit a newbie in a capsule and a 4 yr old in his big seat in the back. and when needed, an 8 year old on the back too.

dh can fit in the front seat when they are all in the back, bit of a squeeze but we manage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    i have a mazda 2 and i fit a newbie in a capsule and a 4 yr old in his big seat in the back. and when needed, an 8 year old on the back too.

dh can fit in the front seat when they are all in the back, bit of a squeeze but we manage.
    Wow. Never would have thought it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i know! plus i fit my double phil and teds verve in the boot! lol its quite amazing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    having said all that tho, my dh is justttt 6f lol 6f7? no way jose!