+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I did 1 round of IVF recently with a needle phobia. The fear of pain isn't my problem, but the fact that the needles are anywhere near me. We got through it following 3 things:

1. DH came with me for any needle I had to have and calms me down.. But he has always had to do this anyway!

2. DH did all my home needles, and told me just before doing it so I wouldn't startle. The first few were rough with a mini breakdown after each, but each day got better!

3. Emla cream. It is amazing! The first IVF nurse introduced me and I've used ever since, and I believe it is solely responsible for me being better with needles now than ever before! You apply a generous bit of cream to the spot 40-60 mins before the needle, don't rub in, and put a plastic patch over it. It will numb the area completely if left on long enough, just wipe it off before you do the needle. We used this for all blood tests and the trigger shot, but not for the daily needles as they are quite small and quick (as things go) so I put up with them. After 20 seconds I couldn't feel anything anymore unlike standard needles.

Ask your FS about the down reg cycle (I think it is called). This takes longer. 6 weeks for me, but it is less needles. For me, I sniffed Synarel spray twice a day for most of those 6 weeks. DH gave me the daily needle for 1-2 weeks (I forget now), then the trigger shot at the end. You will also have blood tests. Every 2nd day for me for maybe 2 weeks. If you follow the short cycle I think it only takes 3-4 weeks, but you have an extra needle instead of the spray.. It was an easy decision for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you thought of trying hypnosis to help with your phobia?
    Even if it only works long enough for you to have a cycle??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thought I'd come and join this thread - we haven't started our cycle yet, still waiting on the PGD workup.

I am also scared of needles. I used to pass out but have managed to get myself past that now, and I'm generally ok if I'm sitting down and someone else does it.

Really not sure if I can do them myself though, so hopefully DH will be able to help with that.

I usually eat or drink something sweet right before or right after my needle if possible as I've heard it causes a blood-sugar spike and makes you less likely to pass out. Dunno if that's true, but given chocolate always makes everything ok I figure it's worth a try.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

Chooky79  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to hate needles too. First cycle, I could even look as DH did the shot. Second cycle I could watch, and third I did myself! But that wa partly because DH broke his collar bone rift before the start of the cycle. Have an mobility-impaired person inject you, and you'll soon find the courage! Good Luck with your journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ice pack to the area a few mins before works wonders

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to hate needles too. First cycle, I could even look as DH did the shot. Second cycle I could watch, and third I did myself! But that wa partly because DH broke his collar bone rift before the start of the cycle. Have an mobility-impaired person inject you, and you'll soon find the courage! Good Luck with your journey.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

Chooky79  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You ladies are inspiring! And comforting for a fellow needle phobic. THANK YOU! 😊