+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Needle phobia and IVF

Hi there everyone,

Since needles and IVF seem to go hand in hand this thread is for the needle phobics among us who are trying to overcome fear of injections/Blood tests etc. It is a place for you to post your story and share your coping mechanisms to help each other through this almost impossible journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd like to follow this if I could as I'd love to be a surrogate, but the thought of injecting myself really really terrifies me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My fear of needles comes from:

When I was a child (about 7 only just able to reach the lock on the toilet door) my dentist suggested an injection and I ran and locked myself in the toilet until at least a couple of hours after the practice closed. I watched the time on the wall clock and saw the dentist leave in his car out the window before I came out. My mother made another appointment with the dentist who refused to do an injection without my permission as it would scar me for life so my mother took me else where and made me have it. Not surprising I hate them so much now.

I recently had open stomach surgery. They put me out using Gas and when I was on the table someone mentioned needles and I was awake again instantly and the anesthetist had to assure me there were no needles and shut the people talking about them up (which of course there was - but only once I was fully asleep again)

Really don't know whether I will cope even with one cycle of IVF but I am going to try. I have to take one needle at a time and see if I can get through each day of hell. The only reason I am even contemplating trying IVF is that it is not fair on DH for me not to try.

I am asking my FS for a non-injectable option and if not then Elonva (one injection per cycle). I'm hoping with my severe needle phobia they will work with me on this. If not I will have to keep looking for an alternative FS until I find a sympathetic one.

Thankfully DH is so gentle and persuasive and we have coping techniques like using the same nurse for all needles, and sniffing Eucaliptus oil and thinking about being almost hypnotized while the needle is done.

There is no way hubby can help me get through all this and do the needle at the same time. I really hope they will allow me to go to the local hospital and get it done when required.

My biggest question is how many needles do I have to expect per cycle of EPU and ET and whether any one option requires less needles? I am not talking about the blood tests here just the injections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have a needle phobia as such. I am an RN and am quite happy to jab people, but used to freak out at the thought of receiving injections. I was fine with blood tests, just not injections.

I found I got better as I went on.
    My DH would initially do my needles. Once you get used to it though, it really is just a scratch. It is such a fine small needle. You may find it easier doing the injection yourself as it gives you some control over the situation.

If pain is a worry, try icing the area with ice beforehand to numb it.

It is amazing what you can do in the quest to have a child via IVF. You will find strength and ways if dealing with things that you didn't think you would cope with before.

Good luck.

Each cycle is different with how many injections.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Chooky79  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would typically have one injection for about 3 days, then had 2 injections for a few more days. When ready to trigger I would have one injection that night and then have a day free. After EPU I would have 1 injection.

Different protocols for different cycles and how you respond to those drugs.
    It is very hard to say.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

T1gger  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    I would typically have one injection for about 3 days, then had 2 injections for a few more days. When ready to trigger I would have one injection that night and then have a day free. After EPU I would have 1 injection.

Different protocols for different cycles and how you respond to those drugs.
    It is very hard to say.

Thanks doesn't quite cover it. This is really helpful information. I am actually scared of any needle. Not injections or blood tests specifically. I cant even sew for fear of pricking myself with the needle. I wish I could just get rid of this phobia but realistically I have it for life. I hope they will choose a one needle technology like Elonva and minimise the fear for me. Only one more week and I will have the apt with FS and get to know whether the number of needles is even something I can cope with. There is no way 2 needles a day is possible - we will have to forget IVF which is really our last resort. I am crying right now with the realisation I probably may not be able to cope with it. There is no way I can cope with 2 needles a day. I want to do it and have told DH I will try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    I'd like to follow this if I could as I'd love to be a surrogate, but the thought of injecting myself really really terrifies me.
    Everyone is welcome to join this thread and share their input. I hope you also take some consolation in what the others are saying

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't got a lot of time so only quickly read your post so sorry if I am off track....just wondering if you couldn't feel the needle would this help?
    I had to have a biopsy once and used something called an emal or emla patch (can't remember 100% spelling) I just bought it from the pharmacy and put it on the area where the needle went an hour before hand and it numbed the whole are I didn't feel a thing. Just thought this could be of some help. Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    Wow that is the biggest gift anyone can give to another. I hope that you get some help from what others suggest. I know your pain where needles are concerned and I have some coping strategies in place.

These are my coping mechanisms

1. Positive thinking the day before thinking it will happen and that I can do it
    2. Morning of needle drinking water (usually 1 litre) it makes it easier (if blood test) to find a vein
    3. Having a hot shower before I leave and if having a blood test it gets your veins to the surface.
    4. Take your favourite smell with you. I use Eucalyptus oil which my hubby uses for massage and I kind of think about relaxing when I smell it. I put it under my nose and sniff the whole time they are doing it. It also helps to calm me down
    5. Insist all visible needles are removed from the room where I am having the needle. If I see it I panic and go into black out mode - which makes it much worse and unlikely to be successful
    6. Lay down while they do the needle - stops me passing out
    7. When they get the needle out they warn me to look away.
    8. When they are going to put it in they have to warn me they are doing it and I have to imagine myself in a relaxing place such as sunbathing on a beach or in my favourite piece of countryside and clench DHs hand as hard as I can - that way he can feel my pain
    8. Afterwards I freshen up as no doubt there would have been tears and sweat. I carry a deoderant/body spray to cover the sweat smell until I get home
    9. Go and have something with sugar like hot chocolate with sugar and slice of cake - something that picks you up and rewards you for having had it done.

I hope this helps you as well.

Other coping things I have heard of or used occasionally:
    1. Ice the area first
    2. Use Elmla cream (put it on the area to be injected which reduces the pain of it)

Hope this helps you to enable you to give this amaising gift. I must admit I can't even give blood but it doesn't matter in Australia as I cant anyway as I was in England when BSE was there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T1gger For This Useful Post:

Chooky79  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoknows View Post
    I haven't got a lot of time so only quickly read your post so sorry if I am off track....just wondering if you couldn't feel the needle would this help?
    I had to have a biopsy once and used something called an emal or emla patch (can't remember 100% spelling) I just bought it from the pharmacy and put it on the area where the needle went an hour before hand and it numbed the whole are I didn't feel a thing. Just thought this could be of some help. Good luck xx
    Thanks have tried it. I personally didn't find it any benefit as I still knew the needle was there. I also freaked out even more having that on before I went in as it reminded me every second that I was having the needle.