+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Primary School Question

My daughter is in Year 4 and has always done really well (straight A's or "Excellent's" as they call them now) since Year 1. I know she is not gifted or anything, but a bit of a smart cookie. I know it isn't always a great measure but in her NAPLAN last year she got greater than 6 (the dot in the arrow part) across the board.

My concern is that she is bored at school, finishes the work quickly and then sits there doing nothing (her words) or sometimes "extension" work which is just crosswords, word searches etc, not proper work really, and certainly not "extending" her in any way. The other problem is that she is Lazy with a capital L! Unless something interests her she doesn't appy herself - this applies to other aspects of her life as well . I think I am worried that she is just drifting along, when she has the potential to do so much more, and that this is setting the scene for the rest of her schooling. Her teacher really doesn't believe in homework (maybe 5mins spelling/maths a night - which she does in 2mins and it bores her to tears, to the point she refuses to do it)

Not really sure what I am asking - maybe for anyones (especially teachers etc) thoughts on what I can do to help my DD do well at school and achieve her potential?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would look into schools close to you that are 'inquiry' driven schools. Smart but lazy kids need to be intrinsically motivated, inquiry learning supports students to investigate, research things which of are interest to them. They problem solve, draw conclusions and find solutions.

If this is not possible, find out more about the current schools curriculum philosophy and ask about how they cater for individual students needs, make a pt interview and ask her teacher about data relating to your DD's learning - ask for an ILP - Individual Learning Plan, this is a plan which explicitly sets out student learning goals, how they are worked towards and how we know when they are achieved.

In regards to the homework ask the teacher about setting up inquiry projects your daughter could spend days or even weeks doing. If they won't do this, set them up yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Different schools can have very different ways of extending students. Some (probably most) will rely on the identification of the students needing extension by the classroom teacher and then extension plans/projects/etc to be organised solely by that classroom teacher. To me, that's a hit & miss approach and I know from my own primary schooling that I needed extension, but only 1 of my teachers (my grade 5 teacher) 'got' that and really gave me different & interesting work to do when I'd finished my other stuff.

My ds needs extra work/extension too and so we looked around for a school that had a better approach. We found one with an extension co-ordinator who oversees extension work and does programs across the grades (eg. excursions to a museum/etc for select groups of students). He's at a Private School to get this, but even Private School programs vary greatly and there are some good public schools around, but you need to look for them.

As for homework, don't complain & don't worry about the school not setting it. It gives you more flexibility for her to do whatever she wants at home. Let her read, give her science kits, complex Lego kits, get her doing complex craft, suggest she make complicated recipes (at least get her cooking your evening meal once a week), organise lessons for a musical instrument (if you can afford it). Look at gifted children websites for suggestions. I don't know from what you've said if she is gifted or not, but there are plenty of suggestions on what to do at home for kids wanting engaging, yet complex things to do outside of school.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (08-04-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's how I started in primary school and by year 5 I stopped putting in and long story short but I had to do a bridging course to get into uni because I really stuffed myself up with education by developing horrible habits from boredom in primary school.
    You can buy workbooks from news agencies of work harder than what she's doing (before I fell in my bad habits I would do work from the year above me in these books) and if you do half an hour each night and send the book to school with her hopefully that can encourage her to continue expanding her knowledge and keep motivated with learning? Combining this with educational games and websites at home could really benefit her.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    As for homework, don't complain & don't worry about the school not setting it. It gives you more flexibility for her to do whatever she wants at home. Let her read, give her science kits, complex Lego kits, get her doing complex craft, suggest she make complicated recipes (at least get her cooking your evening meal once a week), organise lessons for a musical instrument (if you can afford it). Look at gifted children websites for suggestions. I don't know from what you've said if she is gifted or not, but there are plenty of suggestions on what to do at home for kids wanting engaging, yet complex things to do outside of school.
    Oh yes definitely this!