+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Infant Early Learning Programs - Any Suggestions, recommendations or advice

Hi All

Im looking for some information, advice and recommendations for any early learning programs for babies 3mths+. I have seen a couple around suggesting you can teach your babies to read (understand words) and basic maths.

I am interested because both my husband and I struggled at school with both basic english (spelling and grammar) and basic maths (mutiplication, division etc..) and i would like to give our baby a head start so they dont end up struggling like we did. Obviously we are both educated individuals but did miss key education during school years due to missing the boat on basic learning. Im not sure why but I am determined for our children not to feel "dumb" (like i always did).. I dont want to steal their childhood/baby years cause i believe this is just as important, i just want to give them a boost.

So.. Anyone that has tried any products, has information or recommendations your feedback is much appreciated.

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At such a young age, infants just need you: cuddling, talking, singing, smiling. I'm sceptical of `early learning products' for infants. There is no research that supports the use of these resources, over connected and engaging relationships and interactions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The best thing you can do to boost your babies capacity to learn is to hold them, love them, kiss them, breastfeed them if possible, involve them in your day to day, enjoy them. Forget silly programs, they are out for your money and nothing more. They do nothing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the others, the best thing you can do is to spend time with your baby giving lots of cuddles, reading to them (as they get older you'll read more), talking to them (yes, you might get strange looks at the shops as you talk constantly to your 6 month old, but it's what helps with language) and singing (eg. twinkle, twinkle little star, etc). That is what has been proven to help with language development in children.

As for learning the alphabet/reading/maths/etc just choose a good primary school. Prior to Primary School children are best to learn through play rather than structured learning. That is what sets them up for future success

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies

Thank you for responding. I understand what you are talking about and will definatly still be cuddling, talking and singing to my baby because i know all the advantages to that but i know there is some way to increase their learning through play and fun and not structure and i want to learn more about this.

Learning early is proven through lots of friends of mine that send thier babies and toddlers to Child Care and always comment that you can tell a child that has gone to Child Care because they have learnt to write their names and read. Where as kids that haven't are learning this in Prep.

I would like to hear from someone who has found something (products, information etc..) that can aid learning for future development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was on the train a few months ago with a family of 4 opposite me. The father was getting his DD to spell the train station names as they arrived at each spot, then getting DD#2 to pronounce them after that. The girls were having so much fun, it was just a game with daddy, but he was in fact "teaching". It's things like this you want to introduce - fun little ad libs that fill up the day.

soon to be joining the TTC bandwagon ❤

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At 3mnths I'd avoid too much stimulation! Dd used to get so focused, that I'd miss tired cues & she became over tired quickly.

If you want something to do with bub, anything sensory (touch, sound & sights at that age) & agree with hugs kisses & talking to bub.

We started sign language at 6 months & by 9 we had a lot of signs.

I think we started flash cards @ 12 months & got DD a pack of ABC books @ about 18 months.

I have a vid of her signing abcs at 22mnths old but she only honestly grasped the name/sounds of the letters at about 2.5

We've always done lots of counting, & she's just started basic addition/subtraction ('if I have 4 crackers but I eat 2, I only have 2 crackers left)
    AGAIN I think this is like the abcs where it's one thing to say it, it's another to understand it.

We also did baby Einstein & lots of you tube abc,123s

Dd will be 3yo in June.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you FitChick :-) that's the kind if information I was chasing.