+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy public healthcare in Melbourne! SO CONFUSED!

Hi there! I am due with my first baby November 29 and am currently 6wks pregnant. I'm really really really confused about what I should expect??

I am considered high risk because of a history of DVT and am currently taking Aspirin daily until I start Clexane at 8 wks. I guess I expected ACTUAL maternity care and I'm just so confused.

I originally asked for a referral to Royal Women's but I JUST got my letter from them after 3 weeks and I still don't have an appointment. I don't think they'll even see me until 18 to 20 weeks.

I'm hoping for Monash Clayton to accept me, but my doctor just sent a referral on Friday to them for me.

Is it unrealistic to expect an early ultrasound?? I would just like to see my baby and know it's healthy. My hematologist was under the impression that I would quickly be seen by someone and that my clotting disorder would be managed within the hospital, but as the weeks pass by I really don't know if that's going to happen.

Am I going to need to pay for a private obgyn or something in order to ACTUALLY get someone to actually see me?? I thought since I was high-risk it would be irrelevant and I would at least get seen before 12 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    im going public in victoria but not at the hospitals listed.

in my experience, its quite normal to mot be seen at the hospital until about 16 weeks. For me, I was managed by my GP up until the hospital took over and he sent me to all my earlier scans (dating and nt scan).

Im not sure about the high risk thing, but can your GP manage your pregnancy until you are booked in to the hospital?

the only alternative would be to go private id imagine

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (08-04-2013),mrsh12  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm public in Melbourne and my first scan was 7weeks through my gp. Had another scan at 9 then 12. I booked into my hospital at 10weeks (again referred by doc). I would go see your gp and just not leave until they refer you for a scan

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (08-04-2013),mrsh12  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've gone public twice at Sunshine Hospital. I didn't have a hospital appointment until 22 weeks with my 2nd pregnancy as they were so busy. First time around i was seen at 17 weeks. Up until then i saw my gp who organised the NT test, morphology ultrasound and everything else the midwives would do. I had a dating scan as i had no idea of lmp but i don't think they are routinely offered. Hope this helps. Do you have a good gp? Mine is quite thorough so i wasn't too worried about not having a hospital appointment.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

mrsh12  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I'm from the States where we don't have public healthcare so it's very confusing for me! I appreciate all the input I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to check on my leg where I previously had a blood clot as it's been really sore and a bit tingly lately, and I'll also ask for a referral for an early ultrasound. My GP is really nice so it shouldn't be much of a problem for me- I will ask him tomorrow if he is okay seeing me throughout the pregnancy.

Thank you again!! It's probably all my hormones making me so stressed! haha! I had a bad morning, threw up everything I tried to eat lol I think I just need to relax. Appreciate everyone's input I already feel a bit more relaxed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsh12 For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to sunshine and had my first appointment at 13 weeks first time around had an appointment at 15 weeks is it possible for your go to call the hospital and find out what the hold up is and any concerns they have about your condition?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to the Women's and my first appt was 18 weeks, although I was low risk.

Ultrasounds are organised via your GP though, not the hospital, and unless you find a bulk billing place it will cost you a couple of hundred dollars.

Having said that the Women's do have ultrasound facilities, they just don't offer them as routine for all patients as obviously there isn't room for everyone. We did get a free one there for a scan at 36 weeks though due to possible low lying placenta. So perhaps as you're high risk it might be an option.

Once you get your letter from them I'd give them a call...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had my booking appointment at monash today and I'm 15w1d. I was told they book you in between 12-14 weeks or thereabouts. Prior to this I saw my GP and she ordered all my scans and blood tests. It looks like you're comfortable with your GP, that's always helpful (I don't like any of the GPs in my area so i choose travel half an hour to see my old one before I moved) let them guide you until the hospital takes over. I just remembered that even though my GP sent a referral to the hospital i still had to complete an online maternity booking request form on their site. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you want to see your GP for shared care throughout your pregnancy (so some of your visits are with them and not the hospital) they need to be on a list that the hospital has. You can find it online.

Glad you're feeling less stressed.