+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Issues transitioning from potty to toilet

My DS is 3 (and a big 3 year old at that)
    He has no worries weeing and pooing on the potty no accidents or anything but he is getting far to big for the potty but he flat out refuses to use the big toilet if I try to get him to sit on the toilet he will kick and scream and fight and just wet his pants rather than sit on toilet he won't even try! I have a special seat for the toilet that has handles and steps I have tried sticker charts and rewards (same as when starting on the potty) nothing seems to help gosh I even let him watch me use the seat on the toilet (lol I am a desperate woman lol)
    Any help and advice would be great please
    just to add too he won't use the toilet at pre school either and they are the little toilets he just holds on all day untill he gets home to the potty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At 3yo I'd be asking him 'why' he won't use the toilet. Is he scared? Why? & address his answers.

I don't think dragging him to the toilet is a good idea either.

Where is the potty? Can you sit it next to the toilet so he starts to associate the potty with the toilet?

Have you tried pumping him full of water & taking him out/shopping where he has no choice but to use the toilet? Don't make a fuss when he says he needs to go, take him & say 'oh no, there's no potty! What should we do?' And see if HE choose to use the toilet.. Then make a HUGE deal when/if he does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    try putting some toilet paper in the toilet first, it might be the splash back of the water that he doesn't like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He hasn't actually done a wee in the toilet he will sit on the toilet and hold it in then get off and wee in his pants

Thanks
    Reviews
    He hasn't actually done a wee in the toilet he will sit on the toilet and hold it in then get off and wee in his pants

Thanks
    Reviews
    Instead of trying to get him to sit on the toilet would he be more open to standing up to wee into the toilet like a big boy (My DS was a very small 3 but was standing for wees at that age). Then once he's used to using it for wees he might be more comfortable to try and sit on it for #2's as well?

For what it's worth my DD is 3.5 and fully 'toilet' trained and still using the pot. But she is a teeny tiny thing. She will however use the toilet with toilet step/seat thingy if it suits her - just gets upset if I suggest packing the pot away because she says she is still a little girl, not a big girl. And to be honest it suits me - she and DS often seem to go at the same time and it saves them fighting over the toilet. We are moving in a couple of months though and the pot is not going to get unpacked in the new house - at least not until DD2 is ready for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still no luck getting ds age 3 to use toilet we tried putting the potty next to the toilet trying the transition and he refuses to even trying standing to wee I was desperate and even tried to temp him to "water the plants" out in the back yard no luck
    He is getting far to big for the potty his morning wee fills the pot even overflowing sometimes! He still refuses to use the child size toilets and school it shops too he holds his wee all day at school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im having the same problem with my 3 year old DD even though her 5 year old sister uses the toilet she wont.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Im having the same problem with my 3 year old DD even though her 5 year old sister uses the toilet she wont.
    Glad I'm not the only one let me know if u have any breakthroughs