+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not happy with daycare- wwyd?

Ok my son (3) has been going to a daycare for about 6 weeks now, and we've had some issues recently that I'm not happy with. He was in a family daycare last year that was wonderful and I understand that there will be teething issues with a larger daycare. I'm just not sure what is normal or if I'm overreacting etc.

When I picked him up before Easter, there was only one woman in the room looking after 10+ kids. My son was soaking wet, he had wee'd right through his jeans down his legs. The woman said she couldn't come inside and leave the other kids. The other thing was his jeans are long, they need rolling up and they hadn't been, I thought that would take all of two seconds to do and it would be unsafe not to do it? When I dropped him off this morning I told the woman in the room of those things, and her response was literally 'hmmm'.

My gut feeling is to pull him, he's not happy there and I think I'd like to have both my kids back in family daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I had any doubts about the level of care my son was receiving I would pull him out in a second... To me it's not around what others on a forum would consider to be 'acceptable care', it would be a very personal decision around anything I would not be happy with...

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go with your gut feeling. My youngest is in daycare and I like it and he enjoys it but if I had any doubts he'd be out in a flash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your gut feeling is to pull him out, do it. To leave a child wet is just wrong.
    I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. We leave our children with these people and trust that they'll take care of them. When that trust is broken, there's no turning back. You'll feel uneasy every time you leave him there.
    There are some wonderful daycare centers out there. There really are. Look for another one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's more that I have no experience with larger daycares and I am just curious for opinions- we are going to pull him out (regardless of replies, sorry if it seemed like I was asking that, also posted here then talked to dh straight after to make decision). I'm sad that our first large daycare experience has been negative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So did she know he had wet through? She was right in not being able to leave the other children to be able to change him. Before pulling him out I would be questioning the director about staff:children ratios as it is illegal for a carer to be on their own.

Also why didn't you just roll his pants up before you left or send him in ones that fit - i know this is a simple thing for the staff to do but some days smaller things get over looked.

But if your child is unhappy then go with your gut feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    isnt it law that they have one carer to five children at that age? no excuse is good enuf to leave your child with a soaking nappy. i would not be happy at all. basic funtions like tioleting, food , water..if the daycare cant handle that then something is seriously wrong imo..no excuses, ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would be concerned that there was only one carer in the room

I wouldn't like that his pants were wet, but would understand that she had lots of kids in her care and couldn't drop everything to do it in a hurry. I wouldn't like it though.

As for the jeans thing, while it might be annoying that they weren't rolled up, I think we need to think about these things ourselves when we send our kids to daycare. I wouldn't really be worried about that. I sent my 3 year old to kindy in a long sleeve tshirt the other day, and when I went to pick him up he was playing with a water table and the water had crept up his sleeves, and he'd also been playing in the sandpit so he was absolutely drenched and feral. Totally my fault. I changed him straight away into a dry shirt and took him home, my bad! I won't send him in a long sleeve tshirt again.

I've never picked up my kids wet with pee, but then again they don't have toilet accidents. I have many times picked Hayden up with his pants on backwards though! It really doesn't bother him. He has a great time playing outside in the afternoons at daycare and I'm not really worried about what state I pick him up in!

Just thought I'd put another perspective to you The pee incident is very unfortunate, and if it was happening regulalry I'd be very annoyed, as with the 1 carer to 10 children. That's a bit off. Keep an eye on it and if your gut tells you he is unhappy there pull him out. At this age though we are starting to prepare our kids for prep which does mean there will be lots of kids with one teacher, and sometimes they'll have to wait a little bit I guess. Good luck, hope it turns out ok

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Two Sweetpeas  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The carer should have known better she should have got someone else to help her out when she noticed your son was wet. Like everyone says go with your gut feeling. With the2- 3 year age group at day care centres the ratio is now 1 staff member to 6 children from 3-4 it is 1 to 8. Did you talk to the director about how you are feeling because i have talked to the kids director about issues we have been having and i know alot of the time when its get to the point of children being pulled out alot of directors don't know of the issues that have been troubling parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD attends daycare and they are excellent. I also had her in family daycare which I was not happy with so pulled her out. I took her out after I picked her up one day and she explained to me that she hadn't had her bottle because she didn't screw the bottom of it on properly and it all leaked everywhere. That was it for me. Not meeting basic needs is a deal breaker. And this sounds like what's happening at your daycare at the moment.