+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 month old refuse to drink from bottle!

DD is 5 months old and is currently breastfed, starting solids. We will be going away for 2 weeks without the kids in 3 months time, so would like DD to be able to drink from a bottle (formula we have decided) before we go. We have tried to give her some formula in a bottle every now and then, and sometimes she will take it depending on mood, but in the end it's just so much easier if I just breastfeed her.
    Recently we have had a few occasions when we left DD at SIL for a day (where she will be staying while we are away) and she just won't take a bottle at all! She would wait till I get back. Yesterday I went to a hens night and she again didn't drink anything. Today I tried to give her bottle again, DH tried giving her bottle but she just cries.
    Any ideas?
    If I just keep in breastfeed her until we go, will she eventually drink formula if she's hungry enough while we are gone? I like to breastfeed her for as long as I could, and I can't stand her crying and searching for me but we like it to be easy for SIL too, she'll have to watch my 2 plus her own 5!
    Any tips? What would you do?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I feel so sorry for you! No tips but you definitely need to get her to take a bottle before you go. She can't go cold turkey.

I've seen some people suggest giving milk in a sippy cup?

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

tubster  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes a sippy cup may work.

What about giving her EBM first, get her used to the actual bottle and see if that's the issue. Many b/f babies don't like the bottle initially, not so much the formula.

Have you tried someone else giving it to her? What about your SIL? If she knows you're the milk source, it's common not to take a bottle from mum.

Your SIL must be a good woman, taking on an extra 2 kids (one a baby) for 2wks on top of her own 5 definitely a good present needs to be brought home for her, ha!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take her with me. If you are breastfeeding and leave her behind, you will have to deal with regular expressing to ensure that you don't end up with mastitis. It will be a big change for her digestion going from breastmilk to full time formula, and your SIL will have to deal with that, plus baby will be missing her mum and heading into separation anxiety time too. Is there any way that you can take her with you?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will she take EBM in a bottle?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it be the type of bottle you are using?

Edit: what flow is the teat?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Yes a sippy cup may work.

What about giving her EBM first, get her used to the actual bottle and see if that's the issue. Many b/f babies don't like the bottle initially, not so much the formula.

Have you tried someone else giving it to her? What about your SIL? If she knows you're the milk source, it's common not to take a bottle from mum.

Your SIL must be a good woman, taking on an extra 2 kids (one a baby) for 2wks on top of her own 5 definitely a good present needs to be brought home for her, ha!
    Yes we have tried someone else feeding her formula and she won't take any, sometimes if she's in a good mods she will let me feed her formula. SIL is great definitely bring pressies for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I would take her with me. If you are breastfeeding and leave her behind, you will have to deal with regular expressing to ensure that you don't end up with mastitis. It will be a big change for her digestion going from breastmilk to full time formula, and your SIL will have to deal with that, plus baby will be missing her mum and heading into separation anxiety time too. Is there any way that you can take her with you?
    We can't take her, we are going on business trip and its to an Asian country in July, it will be extremely hot and transport will be inconvenient and lots of places that we will be visiting doesn't allow babies or kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    Will she take EBM in a bottle?
    No, she won't take it either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauzy83 View Post
    Could it be the type of bottle you are using?

Edit: what flow is the teat?
    We use closer to nature ones and teat number 3 for 6 months onward babies, we have tried a few different ones and doesn't make any difference. I am beginning to think maybe I need to start a battle of wills