+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I am not a free baby sitter for the neighbourhood kids

So as the title states I feel like I am being used as a free babysitter for a family up the road. These 4 kids are lovely kids and very well mannered and I feel bad turning them away but I am trying to clean my house and dont need 4 extras making a mess. We live at the end of a cul de sac and this family live half way up. I am not sure of the exact set up but these kids are here on the weekends and 1 night during the week with their aunty. I have never met her as she never comes out with them when they come to ride their bikes with my son. These kids range from 7yo to 2 yo and think that they are too young to be wondering the street by themselves. She even said that the older 3 could come to the park with us which I refused as I didnt want to be responsible for these extra kids. I felt bad earlier as I said that the boy could come in for a bit and then his sisters came as well and I said no as my 4 month old was a sleep.
    There is no point to this just having a vent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I totally understand. We have a girl in dd's class who often stays with family up the road. I got home last night about 7 pm and it was quite dark and saw this girl playing on a main road(not exactly busy but still) with her slightly older brother. we also live in a cauldasac and it frustrates me when this girl is around because she will come over and not leave till dark if I didn't tell her to go home. I can't fathom the idea of not knowing where your 7, 8, 9 year old is. For all her family knows we could be serial child murderers or abusers because I have never said so much as hello to any of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our old neighbours were like this. Big family, lots of cousins, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles. The age range was nearly 2yo to 14yo. My eldest got along with one boy about 7 and he would always come over, that we could deal with but he would 99% of the time have his 2yo nephew with him. Our road is pretty busy and they would always be running up and down the road. That house also backed onto the road behind it and the 2yo would constantly run from the front all the way around the block to the back We got to a point of always saying we were busy or going out to stop them coming over. I felt bad about it but I'm not here to look after other children everyday.

Sorry to go on a bit there op just letting you know I get what you're saying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies nice to know I am not the only one dealing with this. I dont even let my 5yo out to ride his bike without me as so many people use our road to cut through from bus stop at the end of our road to the streets behind using the lane way and often teenagers on their mini bikes come tearing through so I like to keep an eye on them. I dont mind them comming over but when I say its time to leave and they do but come back 5 minutes later saying that their aunt said to go back and play for another half hour that was when I got really annoyed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that's pretty rude of the aunt. Maybe have a chat or drop a friendly note in her mailbox saying you don't mind the kids playing but you can't have them over for extended periods.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Torrie77  (08-04-2013),~BEXTER~  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I think I am going to have to. They are such lovely kids with great manners etc so I dont mind having them over would prefer them here then ds1 over there but the aunt obviously couldnt be f@#*ed watching them so sends them up to me which isnt fair on the kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way hose. I really wouldn't have a problem telling the kids 'ok kids home time off you go!' ... No problem at all! I would be shooing them out the door once I've had enough <waves hands - shoo, shoo>

OP you need to he a bit more assertive! You're too nice! They will still like you and come visit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    No way hose. I really wouldn't have a problem telling the kids 'ok kids home time off you go!' ... No problem at all! I would be shooing them out the door once I've had enough <waves hands - shoo, shoo>

OP you need to he a bit more assertive! You're too nice! They will still like you and come visit.
    Yeah I properly am a bit soft sometimes I just feel sorry for them. But I did send them away again when they came back and said this and said no I told you my 4 month old is asleep abd I have house work to do so you can come over tomorrow (school holidays in qld) and credit to them they said ok and left