+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaNurture View Post
    The funny thing about thrush is that it can show up and not be a problem. And not show up but still be the problem. With swabs I mean. And ulcers are just a prime breeding ground for them, ESP if you've been using antibiotic cream etc. It can also not be in bubs mouth and still be a problem for you.

You might like to read

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Maybe that's not the problem but its worth considering. To be honest, I think I just had to keep trying until something worked. And a lot of it was my own research, GPs and LCs just didn't know what to do. Jack Newman's website was a fantastic resource, also KellyMom. Plus googling while you feed is a great distraction!!

I know how hard it is and how impossible it feels. You're doing a great job!
    Thank you again. I read your comments while feeding last night (good distraction) but it's way to painful to type a reply while feeding. I have had a quick look at the link you posted and will read in detail tonight. Will educate myself a little more before my GP appt I think In the mean time I have decided to try and rest it for a few days simply because it's just too painful to have him feed from the left side. It makes me feel sick and faint.

I hadn't realised Pinky McKay was a LC - only know the name from sleeping information. Will look into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never heard of laser treatment, but am willing to try anything! Will look into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sajimum, I don't have any advice apart from what others have mentioned but just want to say what an awesome job you have done to get to here. Not many mums would endure all that pain for as long as you have.

I really hope it all works out for you soon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had the same issues with my daughter, she had me blistered and bleeding within 40 minutes of being born because she just sucked so goddam hard, and she fed constantly. The pain was excruciating, and I was constantly scabbed and bleeding it was horrible. I tried lansinoh and gel pads etc but it did nothing, would relieve some of the pain but did not heal them at all. In the end the only way I could get them to heal was to rest them and express. I tried a bunch of different types of bottles until I found one she would take expressed milk from, as I simply couldn't feed off those nipples when they were falling apart. (I found 2 brands she eventually would take, one was the Dr Browns wide neck bottles, and the other was the MAM newborn bottles)

I went on to continue feeding her for 9 months. Good luck! It hurts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again for everyone's replies.

I am 48 hours into resting/expressing the left side. We have had some minor success in getting DS to drink from a bottle - only a small top up after his evening feed (while he is basically asleep). Still persevering at other times to see if he will take some more.

Problem is that he is fussing at the right side now as I think my supply on that side isn't quite up to it at the moment - thetiny crack on that side is now super painful too.

I am feeling quite down and flat about the whole process and not convinced that resting is actually going to help. Going to continue with it for now, but I am worried about the potential issues that may arise from it - particularly a huge crack on the right side and increased supply on the right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been where you are so understand the pain. I had cracks that were about 1/3 of each nipple. I was fully expressing and bottle feeding but after 3 weeks and no noticeable improvement my LC had me return to the GP for another swab (first one came back no infection). The second swab came back massive staph infection - antibiotic resistant as well. Was put on some very strong antibiotics and they healed over the next 2-3 weeks. The nipple tenderness between feeds was the first thing to go. The difference between my first and second swab was that the second one had some breast milk in it. I've since read on the web that for a swab for infection it is important to have the milk in the swab. If the resting doesn't work and you do go back to the GP I would suggest ask for another swab with milk.

Oh, and we now breastfeed with an ease that I never thought we could have. DD pulls off and pops back on with not a skerrick of pain on my side. I hope it improves for you soon. I found it really horrible not to be able to enjoy feeding my baby but I'm so glad I persisted because now I can.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leafy For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (10-04-2013),sajimum  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    I have been where you are so understand the pain. I had cracks that were about 1/3 of each nipple. I was fully expressing and bottle feeding but after 3 weeks and no noticeable improvement my LC had me return to the GP for another swab (first one came back no infection). The second swab came back massive staph infection - antibiotic resistant as well. Was put on some very strong antibiotics and they healed over the next 2-3 weeks. The nipple tenderness between feeds was the first thing to go. The difference between my first and second swab was that the second one had some breast milk in it. I've since read on the web that for a swab for infection it is important to have the milk in the swab. If the resting doesn't work and you do go back to the GP I would suggest ask for another swab with milk.

Oh, and we now breastfeed with an ease that I never thought we could have. DD pulls off and pops back on with not a skerrick of pain on my side. I hope it improves for you soon. I found it really horrible not to be able to enjoy feeding my baby but I'm so glad I persisted because now I can.
    Thanks for your reply - Although I wouldn't wish this upon anyone, it is nice to hear some positive stories from those that have been through similar and come out the other side.

My appt with the GP/LC is in 3 weeks so if I can just hold on until then, i am hoping she can check for infection, etc. again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry jumping in here after only reading the last page.
    I wouldn't wait 3 weeks to get in- I'd demand an earlier appointment... even if you have to lie when you ring up the receptionist and say I think I have mastitis to get an appointment same day. There is a three in one cream called kenacomb thats awesome and breastfeeding safe that can combat infection and thrush.
    Also anything that comes into contact with your nipples and bub's mouth will need to be boiled to kill the thrush - the chemical solutions just don't cut it. Thrush is a tough thing to get rid of.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggermum For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also suffered terribly with cracked nipple and I could have written your post word for word although my DS in only 11 weeks now.
    Laser treatment worked almost immediately for me. I needed a few sessions to become fully healed but I went 3 times in a week and a half and honestly it's really really amazing. The public hospital Physio dept offers it free (I'm in WA) and I didn't even deliver there. Each session takes less than 15 mins and the lady told me if you call private physios as well and ask if they are a women's health Physio they should have the machine and can give you the treatment as well.

i know it's hard to keep going it your sound like you are doing a great job and keep it up! I was not going to give up and like a PP said suddenly we turned a corner and are BF pain free now! YAY

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly Molly Mandy For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never heard of this laser treatment business! It sounds great if it really works, that's amazing. Is it something done everywhere? I've honestly never heard anyone mention it before and this is my 3rd pregnancy and I had extreme pain with both of my babies.

I wonder if it would be considered before birth as a prevention type thing, I'm guessing not.