+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Getting desperate.......so painful

I am desperately hoping for some tips to help salvage my breastfeeding journey, and some support to try and keep going (not that I really have much of a choice at this point). Sorry if this is long and rambling but I need to provide a bit of background. I have a 5mth old DS who is exclusively breastfed. He will not take a bottle (we have tried many different types over a long time!!). Basically since the start I have had issues with cracked and painful nipples. He had issues with my fast flow/lots of milk which caused him to pull on and off a lot. This is considerably better now, but still happens a couple of times each feed. Attachment is mainly okay now according to a couple of LCs who have watched feeding, but he does tend to pull back a little so it's a bit shallow. He is also a typically distractible 5 mth old so pulls off to look around at times. My issue is this - For the last 2 mths I have had a huge crack on my left nipple, and a smaller one on the right (that almost heals, then comes back). I cannot get the left side to heal at all and it periodically bleeds (resulting in an unsettled DS). I have been to our local drop in centre multiple times, have had the council LC come around, and finally hired a private LC (who was the best of them all). Suspecting infection, the private LC suggested a prescription cream (Kenacomb) - GP did a swab which came back as no infection. Result was GP saying cream was useless and 2 x LCs saying keep using it. It did seem to help a little as it stopped the breast aching between feeds. I have started using it again a couple of times a day for the last week - no sign of it helping healing yet. LCs cant tell me how often to use it, and how long for as its prescription. I am planning to make an apt with a GP who is also a LC - but she is away until mid April and I am in so much pain now! I have tired Lansinoh, gel pads (are soothing, but don't think they helped healing) and breastmilk/air - nothing is working and I don't know which ones to persist with! I discussed with the private LC last week whether it would benefit from resting the left side, but she was hesitant as 1) I had initial issues with lumps/blockages and 2) that DS may struggle to get enough from one side (as he won't take a bottle). Resting the left side is less of an option now anyway as my right side is getting sorer too. Does anyone have any insights they can offer? I am at my wits end, and really didn't expect such a painful breastfeeding journey for this long. I breastfed my DD for 16mths and didn't have any of these issues, so it is a bit of a surprise to me. I am readjusting my goals this time around as I just can't imagine continuing with this pain indefinitely. Sorry for no paragraphs too - don't know why but my enter button won't work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you pump from the most painful side and feed via a sippy cup or spoon? Paw paw ointment is great as is a paste made from tumeric and honey.

Nipple shields?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Can you pump from the most painful side and feed via a sippy cup or spoon? Paw paw ointment is great as is a paste made from tumeric and honey.

Nipple shields?
    Oh I forgot to mention he won't use nipple shields - his reaction when I try is just like when he is offered a bottle!

I had tried feeding with a spoon/syringe but he just couldn't get enough and got so frustrated. We have bought a sippy cup to try - I was thinking it might take quite a while for him to get enough this way as he doesn't know how to use it (spits a lot out!). Maybe he will pick it up quicker than I thought though. Will practice with him every day to see if he can figure it out. Haven't tried paw paw so might give that a go too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sajimum. I got painful/cracked nipples when I breastfeeding my son and I did use lanisoh for a bit but it made my nipples jelly like. The only thing that healed it was expresssing from the side that hurt for a week and giving it a rest. If your son won't take the bottle then maybe consider freezing it till he starts drinking from a cup.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-04-2013),sajimum  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Proudmumma - I have a bit of a stash of frozen milk already from when I was optimistic about him drinking from a bottle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would pump from the painful side just to keep supply up, and rest it for 3 days - I am sure that is all it will take to heal, bub will get enough from one breast as it will make more for his demand. Air it as much as possible and just use Breastmilk instead of any creams.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an absolutely huge and excruciating crack on my left side and under the advice of an LC pumped exclusively from that side for 3 days and then slowly reintroduced it - once a day, then twice, three times etc. It worked wonderfully for me.

That said, DD took a bottle (she was only 3 weeks at the time - she would laugh in my face if I offered one now). Maybe just keep trying cups/sippys etc? I hope I works out for you, it is so horribly painful

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like rest might be the best cure.... I wish that the other side didn't have a worsening crack. I am worried that exclusively feeding from that side will aggravate it even more. I am also concerned that exclusively feeding from that side for 3 or more days will increase my supply so much it will lead to more issues.

I wish there was an easy answer. I need to do something as I am dreading each feed at the moment.... It's awful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you tried changing feed positions? Cradle vs lying down vs football? Each position drains slightly different and the latch will clamp differently too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lansinoh worked for me, it's a shame it hasn't for you

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (07-04-2013)