+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And if people criticize you for it, tell them to mind their own business and take care of their own life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go. It sounds like it would be an amazing trip. Kids don't know at that age whether a party is on their birthday or a week or two before or after so have fun.

Part of being a good parent is sometimes putting yourself first - it's not always about self sacrifice. You have obviously worked hard an should enjoy your reward.

PS. what kind of a job do you do? It's awesome that they would send you there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Go! Celebrate a week earlier/later.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you'll really regret it if you don't go! Such a rare opportunity.

You can celebrate the birthday before or after?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (07-04-2013),mrsoptomistic  (07-04-2013),SugarSkull  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd definitely go. But then... birthdays aren't that big a deal to me. Yes, it's a milestone... but it's more about your child growing up than about that specific day.

If it doesn't bother you, and it doesn't bother your son (and presumably it wouldn't, given his age) then why on earth should anyone else care? That seems horribly judgemental.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    iF it was going to be away for a month or something, my thoughts would be no way.

Being away for 1 week....sure!

Now, it would have been really hard on DH as DD is such a mummies girls...but, if it were a trip of a lifetime (for me i think it would be The Great Wall or Machu Pichu or something) and I could do it in a week and celebrate her birthday a few days early or late...no worries! I would make everyone do the same though lol I would beg DH not to let on to her that it was not her birthday any other day!

PS - we had to cancel DD's 1st party as she was sick...no one minded and we celebrated a month later!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (07-04-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Go! Anyone who is suggesting that you are a bad mother or whatever are not being fair at all. Going on this trip does not mean you don't love your child or are a sh!tty mum. Far from it.
    Make a big fuss the week before for the birthday and make contact on the day over the phone or Skype or whatever it is.
    You don't deserve to be judged. Your life and happiness needs to be celebrated as well. It's only a week, not like your moving away from your family forever.
    Go, have a blast and don't feel bad. I'm sure you're child will not hold against you when he grows up.

Say hi to Hef
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 07-04-2013 at 10:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah just go. I'm sure there are plenty of parents who have had to work on their child's first birthday, so they'd just celebrate on another day.

How often do you do something that's just for you any way?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disbride For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (07-04-2013),~ElectricPink~  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go and this is how I'd rationalise it...

Lets pretend you have a family member sister, cousin whatever who is getting married on your child's birthday (it happens my sister did that to my other sister) anyway, would you not attend the once in a life time wedding because it was your child's birthday?

Go! Have fun! Celebrate the birthday before you leave if that's what you need to do to stop the guilt! Maybe express post a special American type of present for your child.

If your child was older this is when it will probably be a problem as some kids can feel abandoned or forgotton and have an understanding of birthdays and what they mean. 2 yr olds don't have a clue!
    Go have fun be merry!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (07-04-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would go in a heartbeat! I loooooove Hugh Hefner AND costume parties. Super jealous!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (07-04-2013)