+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't go because I couldn't be away from my kids for that long (regardless of birthday or not). I accidentally booked 2 nights for a weekend away to celebrate our anniversary (thinking it was a booking for 1 night) and I've already told them it will only be for 1.
    Every child and family is different. Just do what your heart tells you, don't listen to anyone.

Oh even if dh was home, it would be madness. He would probably be crying on the phone (along with the kids) after the 2nd day for me to return, haha.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 08-04-2013 at 08:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go for sure! As you say, your DH will take great care of him. Maybe the people saying don't go don't have the same support from their husbands/partners. It's not the 1950s - us mums can have interesting and exciting lives outside of parenting too now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would go. I'd celebrate the first bday before or after- they aren't going to know, and as you said- this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't go on a long weekend to New Orleans that would've cost me only $500 (I had to pay for accommodation, but would've had free flights and food) because my husband couldn't possibly handle the children without me. [Then one month before the event, my boss couldn't go so offerred me his spot - and he had already paid for his accommodation - so it could've been completely free, but I still didn't go, using the excuse that I didn't have a passport - but that was just an excuse.]

That was nearly 14 years ago, and I regret not going. It was only a few days, he would've had to manage something. I didn't regret it immediately, because I kept telling myself it wasn't an option, but after a few years had passed, I realised that I had really given up on an opportunity that I shouldn't have.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 08-04-2013 at 09:00.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go. Birthdays are overrated.
    You can always celebrate the week before or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Go for sure! As you say, your DH will take great care of him. Maybe the people saying don't go don't have the same support from their husbands/partners. It's not the 1950s - us mums can have interesting and exciting lives outside of parenting too now!
    Agreed. My DH is just as capable of looking after our DS as I am.

This is an exciting and rewarding work opportunity for the OP. Most people wouldn't blink if it was her DH going somewhere for work.

I hate these kind of double standards!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I wouldn't go, because it doesn't interest me at all - but I certainly would not look down on anyone who would choose to. It sounds like a friggen awesome party for someone who's into that sort of thing. Don't miss it, your bubba won't be concerned about their first birthday. They don't understand birthdays when they're 1. If we were talking about 3 onwards it would be different. My 3 year old would certainly know if I was missing on his birthday, but 1 year old not so much.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    haven't read any of the replies but I would go.

My son didn't even have a birthday party until he was four. He isn't damaged for it. The date means something to us not them at 2. your little one won't even notice!!!

Enjoy yourself, everyone is probably just jealous and with the same opportunity would go themselves!!!

Fk em. Enjoy yourself, it sounds like you earned it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to upforroundtwo For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go.

I spent the 2 weeks before my DS first birthday visiting a girlfriend in Vietnam, only getting home 2 days before his birthday. His birthday was spent with friends coming for a BBQ to watch the Wallabies play.

DS is 2.5 ATM and ONLY wants his father including 5 am when he decides it's breakfast time, so I probably damaged him to prefer his father. Win, win for me.

Go have a great time and please post a photo of what you wear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd go, you are allowed to do things for yourself even if you are a mum.