+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vegetarians/Vegans and Mouse traps!! Too many mice

I feel bad killing the mice (they are actually quite cute)
    Do mice carry diseases?
    do we kill them because they are a nuisance or a 'hazard'?
    Does catch and release defeat the purpose cos then they just go to somebody elses house!

p.s. I'm not vegetarian, but eat very little meat for all the reasons people usually try to avoid meat (including unnecessary loss of life, cruelty etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mice are pest.
    I kill the ones we get, mainly because I hate them and don't want to be releasing Mice. But if I released them I'm sure they would just come back.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw an ad on tv not long ago for an ultra sonic pest device. You just plug it in and it releases a sound that keeps the mice away. I'm not sure of the name but this might be an alternative to regular mousetraps?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RandR For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes, got one of those devices from bunnings. It's ultrasonic and electromagnetic (hope its not bad for us humans!). I think it only has a 1m diameter of 'power' though. I've put out bait but we have a dog (and kids!!) so it's in a child friendly box thing (also from bunnings) I haven't seen a mouse since getting it, but their droppings are still around.. . They are now green though, so i'm sure they are eating the bait.

How long does it take to get them all and then not need to bait!
    I'm thinking of getting a cat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Those electrical things don't work at all, we have had them for 6 months and still have mice!

bait boxes recommend baiting for 2ish weeks after your sure mice are gone.

i don't feel bad about killing them, they are a disease carrying pest and if you move them along they will bread again and become someone else's problem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a house behind us that is a dump so we constantly get mice (and rats last time) from their place... Normally we just set a catch a release trap and take them to the bush... However they must have caught on and it was weeks before we caught any! Also, we found that peanut butter and Nutella work much better than cheese!

We also got one of those ultrasonic things and it sucked... Didn't do a thing! I ended up calling a pest control company around to put baits in... They said that their baits are pet and child friendly.. And it was only about $100! A lot less than I expected!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DewDanni For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, they carry diseases. They also have a pretty significant impact on agriculture, and fill niches that would otherwise be occupied by native animals (rodents & some marsupials), thereby decreasing their populations.

We have done trap & release (because they're just so damn cute, and we kept having traps catch their legs etc. and then having to kill them... which was horrible), but the reality is that they're pests. We mostly use traditional traps now. Don't like doing it, but for us it's the best of the options.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (07-04-2013)