+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teachers - chronic illness

hi,

hoping for some advice...

I am in 2nd year of Bach of Ed (primary) and loving it and doing well academically.

BUT...i have Rhuematoid Arthritis and I am struggling I have been getting gradually worse and am now suffering from more and more issues.

I am worried that once I graduate, I won't be able to handle the workload of a teacher...i regularly need a physio (like now, but have to wait till tomorrow when they open) and have to manage my activity levels or chronic fatigue sets in.

I am torn...i have put in lots of work to get this far and I love the course and I want to teach...but, i am worried about wasting another 3 years and the money...and then if i get a teaching job...constantly getting injured or sick and letting my kids down.

SHould I be looking at swapping courses? Do you think it is possible to be a teacher when you have a chronic illness?

sigh, feeling sad and in pain right now...I injured my shoulder coughing yesterday and it has made me really question my studies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think continue with your course if you are enjoying it, you could always do relief teaching or do secondary and only do one class per day etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    my course is primary only...so not able to do secondary unless i change my course structure (which is doable).

The thing it, i want to graduate and make money and if i am only looking for part time or relief work...i am not going to make enough to justify the years of uni and the cost (i know teachers don't make huge money, but i was hoping for a full time roll).

I feel so conflicted. I don't want to be teaching and not be able to give the kids what they deserve...my other thoughts are looking into a psychology type degree and getting work with kids that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not a primary school teacher but I have my diploma in children's services.
    Last year I was diagnosed with low grade Fibromyalgia and I have had plantar fasciitis for a few years. I have found working full time my body especially my feet can't cope. I end up getting worst pains and have flare ups and get so exhausted. In the last 6 months I have come to accept that working full time in Childcare I can't do. But luckily there are part time and relief jobs in centres and there is nanny and babysitting work.
    There is also other avenues I'm looking into that I will be able to work part time and still work with children.
    So if you really want to keep going with your course, do it.
    Maybe you will need to take a full time job for the first year and then could do part time. There is also tutoring.

Could you look at doing part time study?
    Stress definitely will make any chronic illness flare up so you need to look after yourself.
    In the end you do what you can do. But I think look into all options before giving up. Then you can't say you didn't really try.