+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 9 months old wouldn't drink water

My DD started solid when she was 6 months and I have never successfully get her to drink from bottle, sippy cup, straw cup or normal cup. The only way I can get water into her is by baby spoon. But not much water get into her little body. Initially it was ok as she was eating just fruits and was still drinking lots of breast milk but now she drinks very little. When I am at work I leave 2x 200ml ebm for the carers but she usually refuses half the bottles. And because she drinks less, the carers use more ebm for rice cereal and she end up eating more solid and less liquid. Her poo is ok on the days that I don't work but sometimes I can see her poo is hard and round, I am very worried she will be constipated.

I first tried the bottle for water but she pushes it away. I tried sippy cup, she just chewed the spurts, straw cup she plays with the straw with get fingers, I try normal cup, she chokes then gets very annoyed. I don't know what to do, any help is appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you try a straw cup? My DD was very much the same, but she didnt drink water till closer to 15 months! I was very worried at the time as we were due to go to far north qld for a holiday and I knew she would need more liquid then just breastmilk, but 1 day she just started drinking from the straw cup and now at 2.5 she loves her water! I always used to put different coloured plastic cups in the bath and she would practise and play with them which helped her get used to them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Tses  (07-04-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    About a month ago my 8mo DD went off her bottles for a couple of days- she is formula fed but refused to drink her milk during the day and was only accepting solids. I wanted her to at least have one or two formula bottles during the day (she was still waking at night for one) and like you I tried getting her to drink it from a sippy cup, normal cup, straw cup- she refused them all. (she would take water or diluted juice in her bottle, just started turning her nose up at her milk.)

Anyway, I tried something and managed to get almost a full feed into her- get a plastic drinking straw and fill it with her water from a cup by placing your thumb over the opening and creating a suction when you release it. I then let the filled straw drip into DD's mouth and she loved it- use coloured straws, they think it's a game! It takes time and is tedious and messy if baby dribbles it back out, but it was the only way I could get her drinkng.
    Thankfully I only needed to do this a handful of times as DD went back her bottles- I think she was trying to self wean off them and she has upped her food intake and doesn't really want a bottle during the day anymore, she now has just 1 during the day, 1 at bedtime and one overnight, which is fine as she loves solids and water.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 07-04-2013 at 07:40.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Tses  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    Could you try a straw cup? My DD was very much the same, but she didnt drink water till closer to 15 months! I was very worried at the time as we were due to go to far north qld for a holiday and I knew she would need more liquid then just breastmilk, but 1 day she just started drinking from the straw cup and now at 2.5 she loves her water! I always used to put different coloured plastic cups in the bath and she would practise and play with them which helped her get used to them.
    I already tried the straw cup, she just played with the straw and thinks that a new toys. She doesn't even put the straw into her mouth. Should I still give it to her and let play? I guess we may not give her enough time to get used to it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plexus Solaire View Post
    About a month ago my 8mo DD went off her bottles for a couple of days- she is formula fed but refused to drink her milk during the day and was only accepting solids. I wanted her to at least have one or two formula bottles during the day (she was still waking at night for one) and like you I tried getting her to drink it from a sippy cup, normal cup, straw cup- she refused them all. (she would take water or diluted juice in her bottle, just started turning her nose up at her milk.)

Anyway, I tried something and managed to get almost a full feed into her- get a plastic drinking straw and fill it with her water from a cup by placing your thumb over the opening and creating a suction when you release it. I then let the filled straw drip into DD's mouth and she loved it- use coloured straws, they think it's a game! It takes time and is tedious and messy if baby dribbles it back out, but it was the only way I could get her drinkng.
    Thankfully I only needed to do this a handful of times as DD went back her bottles- I think she was trying to self wean off them and she has upped her food intake and doesn't really want a bottle during the day anymore, she now has just 1 during the day, 1 at bedtime and one overnight, which is fine as she loves solids and water.
    I think my DD is also trying to wean. In the last few days, she seems to have no interest in milk, DH was trying to feed her and drank only 60ml and pushed the bottle away she never had a problem with DH feeding her, as she normally drinks 210ml, 4 times a day.

So if I give her anything that looks like a bottle, she gets very annoyed.

I may try the straw technique that u mentioned, hopefully I can get more water into her. I am visiting the early childhood centre next Tuesday, hopefully they can also show us a few tricks. My DD is a very fussy eater too, she doesn't like any vegetable unless it is mixed with pears or meat.