+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week

Default Veggie garden

Has anyone else got a veggie garden growing?

We've only just got ours going, we started about 2 months ago. Our first plant was a chilli bush which is still fruiting and is wonderful. We also have a heap of different hebrs, lemon grass, tomatoes, cucumber, garlic, sweet potato, chickpeas, pumpkins and a few other things. DH even has lemon tree seedlings that he grew from seeds.

DH has been doing most of the stuff while I've been in at work but I do love seeing what he's done and helping him out on the weekends. Even DS has loved getting out and helping. He's planted his own sunflower seeds and is loving watching them grow.

What have you got growing in your garden?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We made plans for a veggie garden back in December. A month later we decided to sell the house so we didn't go ahead with planting veggies. We are building now so I won't get to have my veggie garden for a while

Heaps of my friends have one and I always get massive zucchinis from them, apparently they grow like crazy! I don't mind, I love them mmmm!

Would love to read what everyone is planting to get ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our pumpkins are looking great and ready to harvest. Our birds eye and jalapeno chillies have done well over summer. Zucchini, eggplant and cucumber are still going strong, but our tomatoes weren't particularly abundant this year.

You've reminded me I've got to get the garlic planted soon.

You have done well in just two months.

I've never grown chickpeas though, are they easy to grow?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have one but had limited success. Potatoes have been great, I have had 3 harvests from the same seed potatoes. Literally plant and forget until you need to pick them or clear the garden bed. Herbs have done well though. Other veg we had success with was tomatoes, celery, and lettuce.

We are just about to clear the garden beds and replant with winter veg: broccoli, cauliflower, celery, beans, peas, kale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    We're in a rental so a lot of stuff is still in pots and only a few things have actually been planted in the beds that were already here. All the herbs will definitely stay in pots though.

The chickpea was really easy. We bought a pack of chickpeas from the supermarket and put one in a jiffy pot to see how it would go and it took off. There is now one pod on it and quite a few more flowers. Apparently each pod holds 3-5 chickpeas.

The only things we've had problems with is the strawberries, they're tiny but so full of flavour. I would love to know what we're doing wrong there so we can get some bigger berries. Also something is eating the leaves on things but we don't really want to use chemical pestisides so if anyone has ideas on what we can use to ward off the bugs that'd be great.
    Last edited by Chunkydunks; 06-04-2013 at 20:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    ooo kale!! We'll have to plant some. We only bought our first bunch last week and we've fallen in love with it. Is it easy to grow? We're in Toowoomba so the winter nights can get cold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have basil, oregano, sage, garlic, rocket, cos lettuce, mint , carrots , chives and we did have coriander but it's not doing so well now!
    DH wants to plant some tomatoes and I want more lettuce and spinach and would love to try corn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just carrots and lettuce at the moment but I plan to grow chillies, tomatoes and garlic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    That's another thing we have, carrots. We also have capsicums which are thriving at the moment. I want to grow lettuce too but DH seems to think it won't do so well in our yard at the moment.

I know one thing for certain, it's taking a fair bit of money to set up but I'm sure once we've got it all going things will work out much cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm also looking into getting a lemon tree but maybe a miniature one