+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TMI question about 7YO's digestive health

Ermmm...this is quite embarrassing but I am a bit concerned that my 7YO DS1 is farting so much and it's smelling super disgusting (sorry TMI). It's really bad last few days.

Can any of you can tell me if its normal? And if there's anything I can do to help improve things, like something he can eat IFKWIM? Is there something wrong with his digestive system I am wondering.

Thanks.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I dont know if its normal or not but my DS (now 8) has always been DISGUSTING with his bowels, no matter what he eats. His number 2s stink out the whole house and his farts are unmistakable and rotten.
    If your DS is only just now starting to smell I wonder if it is something particular he is eating/drinking.

Subbing cos Im interested to see what other people say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to look at the situation as a whole. How often does he poo? As gross as it may sound I'd be checking his poo the next time he does one as the colour, size, consistency can yield a lot of info! Has the frequency of his bowel movements changed? Is he in pain? Has his diet changed(some foods are more gas producing)
    If you go "armed with info" if you decide to speak to someone then this can assist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This had happened with DS1 when we went on holidays recently for two weeks. His farts were just awful....like seriously something had died up there. It was rank. What we figured that he wasnt doing no 2s as regularly as he normally would and he wasnt getting enough fruit/veg in his diet (yep we pretty much ate crap while we were away!)

We found he was holding it in as he simply didnt want to miss out and then not eating the best it just became a vicious cycle. Nearing the end of the holiday I made sure he was eating apples and bananas and giving him his vitamins and fish oil again and sure enough he did a MASSIVE no 2 and he was fine after that.

So not sure if that is what is happening with your DS? Or maybe his diet has changed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The enzyme or whatever it is that let me drink and break down dairy stopped working for me at that age. My farts were RANK. So were my dookies. They still are if I have any dairy and the guts aches are terrible.

Also, chocolate contains some caffeine which will do it too if he‘s been eating a lot of chocolate afger easter.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Does he eat much meat - especially processed meat like sausages, bacon, deli meats or ham? We don't have those in the house and I can always tell if DH has had a ham sandwhich or bacon for lunch as he stinks the house out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He hates vegetables and carrots' the only ones he will eat happily though we kinda force him to eat up a few pieces of vege as much as we can.

i think he goes daily but I must really monitor. Never think about that. Good idea I shall be poo inspector.

He does love chocolate but its not like he eats daily cos I control his intake. Does meat cause worse farts? He is definitely a meat eater but we only have processed meats once in a while.

I wonder if probiotics or yoghurt is helpful? He eats yoghurt but not regularly.

He started farting since a long while back but recently it's so gross I have to move away from him!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a pro biotic would definitely help

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, a pro biotic and did I hear somewhere that charcoal tablets help? Check that they're suitable for kids, I'm not sure.