+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any tips on keeping GHD curls?

I've just learnt how to curl my hair with my GHD. Only problem is I can't get them to hold and stay. My hair is shortish so it's not because its to heavy. I also hair spray when I'm finished but doesn't seem to help.

My hair has always been able to hold a curl very well except with the GHD. A I not keeping the heat on it long enough? Is there some kind of product I can use?

I'm going to a 50th next weekend and really want to master it.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My hair dresser did mine with a GHD one day and the curls stayed for aaaaaaaaaaaages..too long actually, I wanted them to drop a bit haha.

The way she did it was, grabbed the section of hair in the GHD and turned it inwards towards my face, held for a second then slowly dragged it out. Once the curl popped out the end, she wrapped it around her finger to make it more defined and neater then moved on to the next one. Loaded it with hair spray afterwards too.

I dunno if that is the same method you used or not but thought Id share incase its not. My hair is just past my boobs and the curls stayed for ages, even with the length and weight.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I give each section a really light spray with hairspray just before I curl. Don't over-condition your hair before.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Subbing as I'm getting a GHD for my birthday because my hairdresser does awesome curls with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I give each section a really light spray with hairspray just before I curl. Don't over-condition your hair before.
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also been know to put a really small amount of curling mouse through my hair before I start and letting it dry before starting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Subbing as I'm getting a GHD for my birthday because my hairdresser does awesome curls with it.
    Can I suggest looking into a cloud nine straightener.
    My hairdresser said GHD aren't as good as they used to be. Cloud nine is owned by the original designer/owner if GHD and is apparently the quality GHD was when first released.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    Can I suggest looking into a cloud nine straightener.
    My hairdresser said GHD aren't as good as they used to be. Cloud nine is owned by the original designer/owner if GHD and is apparently the quality GHD was when first released.
    Thanks for that, I will definitely look into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try to do it on 'dirtier' hair, as in not washed the same day. When I had my hair done by a wedding hair stylist she was adamant that dirtier hair is easier to style.

My GHD gives curls that hold, but it 8 years old... So not a current model.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah thanks everyone! I'm guessing its because of the conditioner then. I've been doing it when it's just dried after washing/conditioning or the next morning.

London I *think* I'm doing what you described. Trying to anyway. The curl comes and then disappears not long after.