Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    In Annandale alone there is a huge amount of schools

high schools
    -william ross

Primary
    -annandale state
    -townsville grammer
    -st anthonys (I think that the name of the catholic one)
    -annandale christian college
    I went to Annandale State in it's foundation year

Op, even though it's been many years I'd try and go for Annandale. We really liked it, lots of families. When my dad was in the army there were heaps of defence houses there so hopefully something comes up that you like.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to hear there are lots of schools!
    I would love to get a place in annadale or Douglas but it just depends on availability of houses...all that seems to be available is places in kelso are parts of kelso ok? There is a gorgeous house available to us that is in sandon place kelso, looks like it is kind of near the creek. We would take it right away if I weren't so concerned about the area being dodgey.

I was also wondering if there are many flooding issues in townsville? We have been OK during the floods in Brisbane cause we are on a hill but I hear townsville is all very flat

Oh monstermoo, I am due 13th October.
    Very excited

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bub4mepls View Post
    Great to hear there are lots of schools!
    I would love to get a place in annadale or Douglas but it just depends on availability of houses...all that seems to be available is places in kelso are parts of kelso ok? There is a gorgeous house available to us that is in sandon place kelso, looks like it is kind of near the creek. We would take it right away if I weren't so concerned about the area being dodgey.

I was also wondering if there are many flooding issues in townsville? We have been OK during the floods in Brisbane cause we are on a hill but I hear townsville is all very flat

Oh monstermoo, I am due 13th October.
    Very excited
    I'll put it this way SIL and her family (3kids) have lived in many house through Kelso in the last 7 years and have had no issues. Honestly I wouldn't be worried about it. People said the exact sane thing about Rasmussen but we've had absolutely no issue and Rasmussen is right next to Kelso. Keep an eye out for Annandale just as for your OH its closer to lavarack. But if you can't source any outside Kelso don't worry too much honestly. Congrats I have no experience with Townsville hospital but have only heard good stories.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

LittleGumnut  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As far as flooding I'm no help haven't been here long enough to tell you but SIL said she hasn't had any issues with flooding in the 12 years she's been in townsville

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bub4melps,

I am still waiting on a posting date but have submitted a letter from my Dr to try and push it a little earlier as I am over being here and Huddy is so close to finishing his course.

I have a defence friend who got a house in Annandale as her hubby rides to work and she walks the kids to school, it seems to be a really good suburb for that. She was posted at the beginning of the year from here.

I have taken my DD to Reef HQ and totally recommend a membership and go as many times as you like, the kids always seem to love it and DD loved it from about 12 months of age.

I have family in T'ville so the move is not going to be so unknown for me but I am still a little anxious about getting booked into a hospital to have DS, I am due 25th Aug.

Hope you secure a house soon, it is awlays good to know where it is you are moving to.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to redgrave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I have lived in Townsville all my life, so hopefully I can add something to help you.

People will say to avoid every suburb practically, so you really have to take it with a grain of salt. I personally think Garbutt and Vincent would be ones to avoid, but I remember people saying awful things about where I grew up (North Ward) and it is one of the most expensive suburbs and I lived there for 18 years without incident.

Kelso is probably a bit further out than a lot of other suburbs. Like everywhere, you get those who live on this and that side of town. I personally live close to the 'city' (and love it) while friends live over Kirwan way and also love it. It will depend who you ask what the benefits of both are, of course!!

Fairfield Waters (aka Idalia - the old name) would be my personal choice for a modern housing estate that is close to everywhere.

As for schools.... well I am biased as I work at one of them and if you ring it up (I work in enrolments!) you may even speak to me, so I won't try and promote it here.

As for flooding, most suburbs are fine because the roads are designed for floods (or just heaps of rain) in the wet season. I live in Railway Estate which has a notorious reputation for flooding but I have lived here for 6 years and if we had a better driveway (like my neighbour's!) I wouldn't have ever had a problem....we do intend to put a better driveway in (we have a flat dirt driveway), but it is honestly only an issue about once or twice a year (and only for about an hour even then), so then we forget about it again! You will hear the term king tides, that really only affects the roads in the low lying suburbs, like South Townsville or Railway Estate. My yard/house (like most around me) are way above the road level so I have never, not even in a cyclone, had flooding in my yard or even a drop of water under my house. Just if you do have a house in these areas (pretty much just South Townsville and Railway Estate), look for a house that has the 'bridge' driveway and you'll be fine year round. The neighbours and suburb is really friendly (I rented in South Townsville before buying in Railway Estate).

Despite what long term residents might say sometimes, there is lots to do in Townsville, it is no longer the small town it used to be! There is plenty of good food around (try a Touch of Salt for a really nice dinner), lots of nice parks, the Strand is awesome (there is a free waterpark that is really popular, if you google the Strand bucket you should find pics). Reef HQ/Museum is great. On an adult side, we are now seeing lots of bands touring through Townsville too which is great. On the whole, Townsville is a really friendly place, easy to get around and big enough to still have all the shops and stuff you need. We don't have an Ikea though.....! ha ha.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kimberlina81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey girls thanks so much for the fantastic replies, has really helped me and hubby out. I am not so concerned about which suburb we end up in now though it would be fantastic if we got one close to lavarack but we will see!
    Only three weeks till we move now! Getting very excited about it all and can't wait to explore!

Redgrave what course is your hubby doing? Mine is just finishing his IETs as a driver, learning how to drive the Mac trucks at the moment. You are due 2 months before me!
    Last edited by LittleGumnut; 10-04-2013 at 14:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is Bohle Plains and Rosslea like?
    A house has come up in Bohle Plains (not as nice as the one in Kelso but if its a better area then we would probably take it as it is the same distance from barracks as council).

And then an apartment has come up in Rosslea which is so much closer to barracks, and I think I might feel more secure in an apartment block?
    The only thing Im worried about is raising a baby in an apartment, im not sure if it would be too cramped (it is 3 bedroom with a combined living/dining area), and also worry about when they get older and might try to get on the balcony!

Argh, such a hard decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not familiar with Rosslea but Bohle Plains will likely be in the estate of Kalynda Chase. If so that's a very nice area. Lots of walking tracks and parks - a nice family place. Not really walking distance to anything but a five minute drive to willows shopping centre, Riverway and close to all highways. The good the about Townsville is that nothing is a really a big drive away. School wise, there is Weir School which is unzoned or Willows Primary which I think Kalynda Chase fits into the catchment area... Both are fine state schools (from what I hear), but Willows is a bit newer and probably has a better rep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think bohle plains is a bit far out for us as nice as it sounds. I really want to go with the riverview apartment in rosslea but just not sure if it would be OK bringing up a baby there