+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to townsville in a month,what's it like?

Hi all, my hubby is in the army and we will be getting posted to townsville in may. We have finally been given the OK to look for defence houses,unfortunately so far the only ones available to us are in kelso, hopefully some more should pop up in the next week or so but I have been told to avoid kelso at all costs.
    What are other areas that should be avoided? I am so scared of getting broken into especially since hubby will be away for work a lot and I am pregnant with our first child.
    What are some safe areas in townsville to live? If possible not too far from lavarack barracks as hubby will be riding his bike to and from work.

Also wondering if anyone has experience with Dr Renee as an OB? I have booked in with her and the mater hospital to have Bubs so hoping they are good!

Anything else you can tell me about the place would be great...things to do etc.
    Is it true there is a high crime rate?

Thank u so much! I am excited to be moving there but also very nervous as I wont know anyone and it will be a step for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    suburbs douglas or annandale are close to the barracks. douglas is a new suburb. you cant go wrong in idalia too. idalia is another new suburb. kirwan is good but try to get a house on the western side of kern brothers drive.
    i live in kelso but on an acre, we dont have any ferals around our house but there are plenty
    in the older parts of the suburb. and i ts a little more out of town.
    there is a lot of crime in townsville, but thats what you get when a town gets bigger. townsville is massive compared to 20 years ago. it really has boomed.
    plenty to do up here! ill give you a list and you can check it out.
    markets on sunday, cotter markets are the best in the mall.
    night markets at the strand start next month. and are the first friday of every month.
    walk the strand or pallerenda beach.
    out of town there is alligator creek.
    other side of town there is little crystal and big crystal creek.
    go for lunch at hervey range tea rooms.
    if you are up for a mountain drive, go to the rainforest up at paluma (ring the cafe to see if its open when you go ip there)
    paluma dam and ross river dam. ross river dam has cruises on sundays at sunset.
    go up castle hill. hubby cam excerise up the hill too. you may want to wait a little while lol.
    go uip mount stuart it also overlooks townsville as does castle hill.
    um....billabong sanctuary to see some crocs. but better to go when its hot as the big crocs dont move when its cold haha.
    go to magnetic island for a weekend and hire a mini moke to drive around. nothing much there but great to relax and swim. there are many walks through bish there. and even koalas!
    thats all i can think of now.
    Last edited by emmietee; 07-04-2013 at 07:57.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to emmietee For This Useful Post:

LittleGumnut  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry about the spelling mistakes, wont let me edit properly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Emmietee, thank you so much for your reply it is a massive help!
    I have taken note of all the suburbs you mentioned so when we choose our house I know the right areas to look for It sounds like Townsville is a very outdoorsy type of place which suits me perfectly, I am starting to get excited! I can't wait to explore Magnetic Island

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have only been in Townsville since October. We're in Rasmussen right near Kelso. Personally I have no issues with it. We're on such a lovely court with wonderful neighbours. Seeing as you OH would be at lavarack I would look around Annandale it's nice and very close. I don't know where your coming from but the weather takes about to adjust to. I agree crystal creek is stunning. If you like fishing a nice spot is cocoa creek you can camp there too hope you like it. We love it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

LittleGumnut  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh reef hq a must see, billabong santuary too ( but go when its nice and warm ) and def check out the museum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks monstermoos! We are coming from brissie, I definitely prefer hot weather to cold so hopefully the heat wont take too much adjusting to.
    Definitely love fishing!
    Are there many schools in townsville? I am a teachers aide and hoping it wont be too hard to find work once bub is older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Your most welcome. There's plenty if schools in Townsville. I dont think you would have many issues finding a job.

We moved from Brisbane to maryborough then to Townsville. I much prefer Townsville over both.

When are you due? Congrats and best of luck with it all
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 08-04-2013 at 15:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    In Annandale alone there is a huge amount of schools

high schools
    -william ross

Primary
    -annandale state
    -townsville grammer
    -st anthonys (I think that the name of the catholic one)
    -annandale christian college