+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 12 day old nasal congestion

One of my 12 day old twins seems to get a really snotty/mucusy nose during the night. I don't notice it during the day when she sleeps in her bassinet in the lounge room or during feeds but everytime we put her in our room it starts. It unsettles her and we have bad nights.
    She is in a grow suit with mittens, hat, swaddled and has 2 blankets over her . It can get quite cold, could this be contributing?
    I should add, she did have a feeding tube up until 6 days ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Was she born by caesarean? My 5 week old was, and the midwives told me that it's normal for a c-section baby to have a bit of gunk in their lungs as when a baby is born vaginally, a lot of the gunk is squeezed out as they go through the birth canal. So my girl sneezes a lot, and is really grunty / congested in her sleep when the air is cooler at night. So yes it's normal, but I don't know how to fix it as its not bothering our daughter so we haven't done anything about it. Maybe a humidifier would work to warm the air?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My little boy was like that too for the first few weeks. He is now almost 15 weeks and the congestion is gone, he no longer grunts and is sleeping well. Give it some time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little one was the same and she was a c-section as well. We used a humidifier and saline drops when really blocked up and before feeding. It soon passed. Elevate the cot/bassinette as well as will help with breathing. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah, thanks! She was born by c section! I might give the humidifier a try then.