+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you know if it's a boy or girl? I think if you don't know (or aren't telling) then its easier to keep the name a secret.

We didn't know what we were having but had the girls name picked from very early on. We were very clear from the get go that we wouldn't share our name choices and no one tried to get it out of us. I think the boy/girl mystery was more interesting than the name speculation.

I didn't have any trouble keeping it to myself, I love DDs name (it's not 'unique' or unusual but it's just beautiful) and loved the idea of introducing her with her name when she was born. I also didn't want people's reactions to weaken my resolve and question our choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We've had bubs name picked since befoee we found out he was a he.... but we're not telling anyone. I always feel a bit weird when I have to say to people who ask that we arent sharing his name wirh people yet so I just say we haven't 100% decided and are waiting to meet him first...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have done the same thing we did for DD1 name for DD2. Have told people we have a few names we like but are telling no one until she is born. I am not interested in people's opinions and associations with our name choice. Once they are born everyone just excepts the name and if they have a problem with or don't like it they don't say it to you!

I think the key to keeping the secret is to make a deal with DH/DP that you both agree to tell NO ONE. Cause once one person knows you may be tempted to tell another......

Plus it's nice for there to be some suprise if you already know the sex, it's something exciting to reveal on their birth :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just refer to bub as bub.
    'What's their name?'
    'Bub. '
    'No, really what their name?'
    'Bub'
    And on and on and on. Kindly explain that you like a particular name but are keeping your options open so in the meantime that will be their name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always said the baby . So much so that when he was born he was still "the baby "

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make up another name.. Instead of telling them the real name, tell them you're naming your baby Sophie or Adam or something..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found keeping the chosen or short listed names a secret really simple.

What names do you like?
    Not telling.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (06-04-2013),scarymarygoldfish  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you find it hard, just say "we haven't decided yet" or "we are not telling anyone- as we don't want any opinions on it"

Generally I found most people feel the need to give their opinion, it really is inevitable.
    I told everyone, with the first being all excited, and I did feel hurt and offended by peoples comments, with the second-no ones opinion really mattered
    We had everything from "oh" to "I didn't know people were still using that name" to "that's such a strong name, not at all suitable for a baby"
    He has just a standard normal name, I responded to comments with "really? Because I love it" and no one can argue with that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just tell them you're undecided. If you say that you've decided but are unwilling to share, they'll probably just harass you and try to get you to tell them or whinge to each other about you being a sook for not telling or whatever.

KtKing is offline The same sun that melts the ice hardens the clay. The difference is the nature of the material.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When people ask, I just tell them we aren't telling anyone. We've had a boy and girls name picked for weeks now and we decided we didn't want to hear people's opinions so we are keeping it to ourselves until Bubs is born. I'm finding a lot of people are respecting our decision. They get more annoyed that we don't know what we are having :-). I find it amusing now.