+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Money and Fertility Assistance

Hey everyone,

Hubby and I have been putting off going back to our FS to start the process of IVF because of money. We fell naturally in Sep 12 but unfortunately ended in MC at 6 weeks. The thing is, we rent at the moment and honestly, I don't see us buying any time soon. I'm on an OK wage but hubby is on quite a low wage, which doesn't bother me because he likes his job and that's all that matters to me. Both of us have always believed that money isn't everything. But now, we need it to be everything because we need money to help us make our dream of being parents a reality.

My question is probably not going to come out right because I'm seriously depressed today and really can't think straight.

How did you go with the financial side of IVF? Did you just make it happen (Credit cards/finance) or did you save the money first? How did you go with your finances once you did become pregnant and you had to save for getting things ready for bubs? Do you regret anything financially (Do you wish you'd saved money first for IVF instead of putting it on credit?). We are so desperate to be parents and now that I'm 31 we really just want to make this happen. Both DH and I always thought we'd have a large family, but it's looking more and more like we may have to come to the realisation that we may only be able to have one child.

Sorry for rambling, I'm freaking out massively today

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all good, after my massive melt down today we've decided to use our credit card, willing to sacrifice anything and everything to become parents. We WILL make it happen

3. The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly2013 For This Useful Post:

LowAMHonly25yo  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meltdown is understandable. I wish you every success with your baby making plans. You sound like you'll make wonderful parents.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybeanicecream For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-04-2013)

Love_Monkey_Heart is offline Blessed with a very cheeky Monkey!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In terms of saving to pay for baby stuff cot, pram etc. A lot of the baby stores do long term lay bys (6 months plus) So that might be an option to look at. We fortunately have not had to go down the IVF path but have previously done and currently doing ovulation induction with FSH injections so I understand the extra financial pressure. Is overtime available in either of your jobs? In the lead up to my DS birth I did as much overtime as possible to help set us up more for when I would be off work. This time around I won't be able to do that as I have DS to think off too. SO I'll have to think of something else so I don't stress about money too much. Good luck on your IVF journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally understandable, IVF can be a huge financial burden. It's a stressful time and the cost is another thing to deal with.

Best thing to do is work out how much you have to pay upfront at your clinic and then you can get them to work out what your rebate is, and how much you will be out of pocket. There are always extra things too like extra drugs ( progesterone can be very expensive ) and things like freezing embryos.

I know a lot of people who borrow money, take out loans or put cycles on credit card. You pretty much have to make it your financial priority ( which is tough) and put everything else on hold. For eg. We put our wedding on hold because we knew ivf would take a long time and would be hugely costly. We had to forgo another overseas trip so we had the cash to do more cycles.

Best of luck to you, your clinic will be able to give you a good idea of your out of pocket cost and then you can budget for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's hard isn't it I'm on my last cycle of clomid and if it is a bfn we are on our road to Ivf . What makes me upset and I guess it's just silly why is it so easy on some and the people it's hard for emotionally and then also financially it sucks !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that all the time as well, why is it just soooo easy for others and we not only have the emotional rollercoaster of months on end of BFP, then we have to go through another emotional journey called IVF AND it's such a financial burden! Oh well, I guess once we hold that little bundle of joy all the pain will be forgotten Best of luck, I hope you get your BFP this month so you don't need to worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you butterfly I have just started spotting ( cd25 ) so I think I'm out this month

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi butterfly. We decided to save and do it. We also changed to a cheaper clinic that bulk billed the majority. We don't want the extra financial burden. Even managed to squeeze in an overseas trip last year and just got back from another last week, but that's it from now on. We are about to start saving for ivf #3 which should be June/July. By the time we have a baby, we will be completely debt free with the exception of our mortgage. Good luck with your journey, it bloody sucks but there is amazing support on BH.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (15-04-2013),LowAMHonly25yo  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Hi butterfly. We decided to save and do it. We also changed to a cheaper clinic that bulk billed the majority. We don't want the extra financial burden. Even managed to squeeze in an overseas trip last year and just got back from another last week, but that's it from now on. We are about to start saving for ivf #3 which should be June/July. By the time we have a baby, we will be completely debt free with the exception of our mortgage. Good luck with your journey, it bloody sucks but there is amazing support on BH.
    Hi Ngaiz, where is the clinic you're going to? I'm on the Gold Coast.