+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess it really depends on what your DDs additional needs entail?

For me, or my kids when they were babies, I would have been happy with that arrangement. As both of my kids were fairly Placid by around 6 months and I would have been confident that a nanny could look after them and a newborn as they weren't really that time intensive.

But for me it would depend on what your DD's issues are, how much time her cares take, likelihood of emergencies etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. I wouldn't be hiring her in the immediate future after her bub is born. Before then, I would like her to come a few times (probably before she is 36 weeks) so I could see if I'm comfortable with her.
    At the moment my little one has feeding issues... Her syndrome won't present other issues until she grows. She also has a heart condition that needs careful consideration - she has had an open heart surgery at four weeks old snd is scheduled for another fairly soon. I need someone who is comfortable with those issues. But she's perfectly 'stable' and wouldn't need emergency care because of those things.
    I'm still on leave from work and will be for a while do I imagine her bub would maybe be 4 months or something.
    I hadn't actually thought about the sickness aspect.
    I'm glad I posted my question because there were tons of things I hadn't thought of. I guess it seems like a good idea, also because she came through a recommendation and not just on the Internet. I had contacted another agency where I live and haven't heard a thing... Which is annoying.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So her baby would be 4 months and C would be around 10 months? That sounds lovely to me the ratio in a child care centre is 3:1, so 2:1 in your home sounds fantastic. As long as you are really strict about illnesses, it should be perfect.
    Although, as you know all our 4 month olds are giving us major grief at the moment, so she may find that really hard work.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh, and to answer your question- not sure of the going rate for mummy nannies (less than regular nannies I'm sure) but when I was nannying the deal was I took care of all the kid's day-to-day stuff. So appointments, classes, meals, buying shoes, tidying, their laundry and dishes. When they were sleeping, after I'd had a bit of a lunch break I would do things like sorting or washing their toys, or making bulk meals for them. So all the stuff a mum would do apart from general housework.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks FL. Yeah. Our 4 month old are giving us a run for our money.
    That's sort of what I thought about the ratio, and she would be in our home etc. I think I will contact her. I have her cv now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The lady also needs to be careful about contracting illnesses herself while pregnant.

I was a nanny and got paid $20/hr for one baby. Duties were clean up and tidy to do with bub, washed and sterilized her bottles, fed and entertained her. I also kept eye out for things I could help with ie folding washing. They had a cleaner who came weekly to so I didn't have to do the major stuff.

Childcare centres it's 4:1 child to staff ration for 6wk to 15mths so two bubs should be fine.

Ask her what she would do if your child is sick, would she still work and not bring her bub or would you be ok that she doesn't come??

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Thanks FL. Yeah. Our 4 month old are giving us a run for our money.
    That's sort of what I thought about the ratio, and she would be in our home etc. I think I will contact her. I have her cv now.
    Maybe MSG boobychino. She used to do the mummy nanny thing and may have lots more helpful info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hack but can u claim nanny costs as you can for daycare? What if your paying cash, can you still claim? Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a nanny for about a year up until recently. She was amazing. I have 2 kids..4yrs and 2yrs. She would bring activities for them to do or take them out for the morning. She was here 9am-12noon once a week and I gave her $50. I would leave food out for her to prepare...fruit/bread for sandwiches etc and if I had a load of washing in the machine, when it was finished she'd hang it out. She was a backpacker so had left now but she really was a modern day mary poppins and I miss her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our experience is that all expectations need to be agreed upon up front. If there are any grey areas of responsibilities that is where the issues can arise....